Shanghai Calling | Teen Ink

Shanghai Calling MAG

By Jumper008 SILVER, Exton, Pennsylvania
Jumper008 SILVER, Exton, Pennsylvania

As the world becomes more globalized, we need to learn more about other cultures to help prevent misunderstandings. “Shanghai Calling” is a movie aimed at uniting the East and the West – China and America.

“Shanghai Calling” is a romantic comedy centered on Sam Chao (Daniel Henney), a Chinese-American lawyer from New York hoping to make partner in his law firm. He is unexpectedly sent to China to manage the new branch there because his superiors believe he will be able to connect with the people there, despite his inability to speak Chinese. However, Sam's role in Shanghai isn't easy, as he becomes entangled in a career-ending crisis. During the ordeal Sam makes new friends, finds love, connects with his culture, and ultimately becomes a better person.

Though the film is what people may call a typical romantic comedy, I feel that its importance comes not from its striking message, but from its role as a bridge between these two cultures. We rarely see films featuring Asian-Americans, let alone set in China. Many Westerners only see one side of China – the populated, polluted country of the East, but China is much more than that. I think “Shanghai Calling” does a really good job showing the positive side of everyday life in China. Viewers can also see the country's development and dive deeper into its culture.

“Shanghai Calling” may help prevent misunderstandings between the two countries and allow them to become more united. We must remember that although we have differences, we are still cut from the same cloth.

Since this movie is an indie film, it most likely will not be shown in many theaters. However, it can be found on iTunes and Amazon.