Mrs. Doubtfire | Teen Ink

Mrs. Doubtfire

April 22, 2013
By Bianca Altamirano BRONZE, Devon, Pennsylvania
Bianca Altamirano BRONZE, Devon, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Mrs. Doubtfire Really Wigs Out”

Who is Mrs. Doubtfire? An old, random, English woman? Daniel Hillard’s odd half-sister? Or is she a fake identity that Daniel Hillard is disguising as? I would go with that last one. It might seem crazy, but in this family fun, heartfelt movie, Daniel Hillard would do anything to see his kids.

After getting divorced, Daniel Hilliard is heartbroken because he is only allowed to see his kids once a week. Desperate, he whips up a crazy plan. When his ex-wife puts an ad in the newspaper for a nanny, Daniel puts on a disguise and applies for the job as a perfect old English nanny and is hired. The kids and their mother get really attached to Mrs. Doubtfire as she becomes part of their family. What will happen next? Will they find out who Mrs. Doubtfire really is?

Robin Williams was exceptional as the hilarious but irresponsible father, and if this was a play, I would have said he stole the show. Sally Field played a great mother and she was also pretty funny. All actors were phenomenal and even the young ones at the time, like Mara Wilson.

I really enjoyed various parts of the movie. I loved when Daniel’s brother was dressing him up, seeing which outfit was most nanny-like. It was really funny to see him in different get-ups. I also really liked the part at the beginning where Daniel did the different voices because it was hilarious. In general, I loved the movie; it was a great idea. “Mrs. Doubtfire” is silly but realistic and heartfelt at the same time. The one thing I didn’t like was when Daniel’s fake identity was in a crisis; he wasn’t persistent enough to keep it safe and I didn’t get why he wasn’t.

The moral that I learned from the movie was that if you love something or someone, you’d risk anything for it. It’s good to take risks but you have to remember that there are always consequences for them. I think some other people would think that you shouldn’t take risks because you’ll most likely get in trouble if you do. However, I interpreted a different message.

I think people who like funny, light-hearted movies would like this movie. I would recommend it to teenagers and older people because it is appropriate for their age, considering the MPAA rating is PG-13. Younger kids wouldn’t understand some parts and there are some inappropriate language used. This movie was amazing and I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars.