The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby
Some are labeling it a dazzling adaptation of the original Great Gatsby, while others seem to think it contains too many modern twists. Personally, I think it was an amazing remake of the original. I read the book, and then proceeded to see the film. My overall impression was that it was very realistic excluding the music. I did like the music choice; however, I believe I would have enjoyed a bit more fitting tone. Don’t get me wrong, I like the music, but not in this film particularly. I think it would’ve given a better illusion of how they would dance to that music and showed their appreciation of jazz. But, the modern music they played also revealed a side in the movie representing how that music is exciting for us to listen to and it shows how their jazz music to them is how the music chosen in the movie is to us.

Having read the book, I thought they left some very important things out. For example, in the book when Gatsby died, his father and “Owl Eyes” are the only people besides Nick to show up at his funeral. In the movie, it portrays that no one shows up to the funeral besides Nick. I thought this was a very crucial thing to leave out because it showed in the book that Gatsby’s father actually cared about him and how proud of how he had done so well for himself on his own. On the other hand, I liked how in the movie that they showed Nick in the beginning in a therapists office and shows his records of being depressed and an alcoholic. He starts off with the piece of advice his father had told him about being open minded and not to judge. You see this in the movie and book of how he doesn’t judge and never speaks up for himself. It makes me kind of sad that he has turned out a mess in the head from all of the chaotic events.

Now let’s move on to Daisy, I thought she perfectly fit how the book described her. I just didn’t like when her true colors are revealed and she doesn’t tell Tom that she was the one that hit Myrtle. She hides behind Gatsby and lets him take the blame and get killed for it. I feel like at the end, she has no heart and lets Gatsby take blame for everything. As well as, Nick goes to see Tom at the end of the movie and Tom basically reveals to Nick that he told Wilson that Gatsby was the one that killed Myrtle. It kills me that Nick knows it was Daisy and didn’t speak up and tell Tom. I assumed that unlike the book, Nick would snap and tell Tom and reveal some feelings about it, but that didn’t happen. Daisy is shown to be shallow and that completely was fulfilled.