Eragon | Teen Ink

Eragon MAG

When I first heard that the best-selling novel by Christopher Paolini was being made into a movie, I was less than thrilled. An avid fantasy reader, I had read Eragon and like so many others, become enthralled by the mystical land of Alagaesia. Why, then, did the thought of “Eragon” the movie displease me? The answer was quite simple: there is much too much story to cover. It is nearly impossible to cram all the information from the first book of the Inheritance Trilogy into a two-hour film; the book itself is over 500 pages.

Even though my expectations were low, I still hurried to see one of my favorite books transformed to the big screen. While watching it, a very unexpected thought came to me: It’s not that bad.

Maybe it’s just because I wasn’t expecting much, but walking out of that theater I felt that it had been worth every penny. “Eragon” isn’t without its flaws, however. There are a few things here and there that I would change. The pace seems a bit fast, but other than that and a few subtle plot changes, the film is quite good.

If you, however, have read the book and head to the theater carrying your copy of Eragon expecting to read the scenes from the book as they happen on the screen, let’s just say you won’t be reading much. Many scenes are cut or changed, but if you have read the book, don’t be disheartened, the movie has its own style and I still enjoyed it.

The landscape is beautiful and the flying scenes are breathtaking. The acting is very well done and the battle scenes are extraordinary. I most definitely recommend this film, whether you have read the book or not.

SHER_locked PLATINUM, Alta Loma, California
I though Saphira was kind of annoying. There were a lot of things I didn't like about this movie. The only thing I think they got perfect was Murtagh.

MissAdlem100 BRONZE, Woodbridge, Other

'Never be afraid to do what your heart tells you'

i think you are right here, when i read the first of the paoloni saga, i was enthralled, i coudl visually create every scene within my head, but when i saw the move i was quite appalled at first btu still bought the movie on dvd, and after watching it several times i have to say it is a good independant take on the book

ConnorM. SILVER, Brighton, Michigan
I agree. I didn't think it was the best movie. I was little then, but they changed the plot, such as Arya helping them on the way to Farthen Dur. I thought it was a very poor movie, but maybe if I saw it again I will like it more.

joanofarc15 SILVER, Forest Lake, Minnesota

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent into the unknown place it leads." Erica Jong

I agree. Visually, it was very good. And Saphira was amazing. But plotwise, I really didn't care for it. Sometimes a movie based on a book can be changed a lot, and it makes it better and adds to it, like Of Mice and Men. But for Eragon, I thought it didn't work. Everything, acting costumes, CG, was good. Everything except the plot.