Eragon | Teen Ink

Eragon MAG

By Anonymous

     When I first heard that the best-selling novel by Christopher Paolini was being made into a movie, I was less than thrilled. An avid fantasy reader, I had read Eragon and like so many others, become enthralled by the mystical land of Alagaesia. Why, then, did the thought of “Eragon” the movie displease me? The answer was quite simple: there is much too much story to cover. It is nearly impossible to cram all the information from the first book of the Inheritance Trilogy into a two-hour film; the book itself is over 500 pages.

Even though my expectations were low, I still hurried to see one of my favorite books transformed to the big screen. While watching it, a very unexpected thought came to me: It’s not that bad.

Maybe it’s just because I wasn’t expecting much, but walking out of that theater I felt that it had been worth every penny. “Eragon” isn’t without its flaws, however. There are a few things here and there that I would change. The pace seems a bit fast, but other than that and a few subtle plot changes, the film is quite good.

If you, however, have read the book and head to the theater carrying your copy of Eragon expecting to read the scenes from the book as they happen on the screen, let’s just say you won’t be reading much. Many scenes are cut or changed, but if you have read the book, don’t be disheartened, the movie has its own style and I still enjoyed it.

The landscape is beautiful and the flying scenes are breathtaking. The acting is very well done and the battle scenes are extraordinary. I most definitely recommend this film, whether you have read the book or not.