The Way Way Back | Teen Ink

The Way Way Back

By Navilla_Ice BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Navilla_Ice BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

The Way Way Back is a coming of age story following 14-year old Duncan when he is forced to spend the summer in a small beach house on Cape Cod with his mom, Pam; his mom’s new boyfriend, Trent; and Trent’s daughter, Steph.
With a budget of only $4.5 million, The Way Way Back does not feature the best cinematography and lacks the visual and directive quality of new blockbusters. The subpar graphics are compensated for by The Way Way Back’s starring line up; the cast manages to bring their characters to life and animate the film. Liam James, starring in the role of Duncan, is a dynamic character through which the audience is able to relate and sympathize for. There is not a moment the viewer is not cheering Duncan on and encouraging him to break free. Trent, played by Steve Carril, is the perfect antagonist; he is the character one would love to hate. Trent’s character is powerful enough to make the viewer despise him. Sam Rockwell, Toni Collete, and Anna Sophia Rob are also featured in the film.

The Way Way Back is a film that one will like more in retrospect than at the time. During the film, one might find themselves disappointed with the lack of action and the rather anticlimactic ending; but, one will in love with the well-written script. The script contains spectacular symbolism and incorporates the right amount of foreshadowing to keep the viewers to tease the viewers without giving away too much of the plot.
For the most part the film is set Trent’s beach house and the local water park, Water Wizz Park. The beach house is the last place Duncan wants to be as it is the place he witnesses infidelity, discovers a painful secret, suffers emotional abuse from Trent and is neglected by the drunken adults. The conditions of the beach house cause Duncan to seek refuge at Water Wizz Park. In contrast to the beach house, at Water Wizz Park, Duncan is accepted amongst the odd employees, and is given the confidence to hang out with his first love. Duncan commutes between the two scenes on a pink girls’ bike beautifully depicting the awkward transition from childhood to the adult world.
The Way Way Back is not a film anyone will enjoy. The film is not recommended for viewers who rely on visuals to keep them engaged as the film may fail to keep their attention. However, for an audience that is enticed with hidden meaning and will enjoy using their analytical skills, The Way Way Back is highly recommended.

Shany_Liv BRONZE, Harare, Other

“Try, reach, want, and you may fall. But even if you do, you might be okay anyway.
If you don't try, you save nothing, because you might as well be dead.” - Ann Brashares

Thank you for your review - it was really helpful :) I'm definitely the more anyalytical type, so from reading your review, I think I might quite like it.