Saving Private Ryan | Teen Ink

Saving Private Ryan MAG

This isone of the greatest war movies ever made from an American perspective. If youhaven't seen it, you're definitely missing out.

The movie begins with anolder man walking through a cemetery. The scene then changes to just before theD-Day invasion of Normandy. Tom Hanks is Captain Miller, stressed by the waralmost to the point of a nervous breakdown. He is ordered to find and bring homea Private Ryan (Matt Damon), whose mother has lost her other three sons in thewar. Since this is for propaganda purposes, it doesn't sit well with Miller'ssquad, but they do their duty. The ultimate surprise is Private Ryan's reactionto his "rescue."

The only fault I have with this film is that itfocuses on the American side, giving no credit to our allies. You'd never guesswe weren't the only ones fighting the Nazis.

The special effects arebrutally realistic, as is the entire movie. Unlike most Hollywood movies, thesebattles aren't decided by a single heroic character. War is shown in its truenature: bloody, merciless and indifferent. This movie puts you in the boots ofthe men fighting and dying to show that they were not superhuman, only willing toput their lives on the line for the freedoms we hold dear. They were as ordinaryand easily killed as you and I.

If you haven't seen this movie, rent it.It shows the sacrifice of our grandfathers from their perspective. It grips youand leaves you ready to cry as you realize the sacrifices made to keep us free,while driving one point home - "War is Hell.".<

wolf said...
btw the older man is Private ryan in his later years