Power of Family | Teen Ink

Power of Family

The Power of Family

In 2007, Rainforest Film produced a Christmas comedy-drama named “This Christmas". This movie was written, produced, and directed by a man named Preston A. Whitmore. This film is about a family that has become semi distant from one another but love brings them back together. You have the occasional arguing and bickering that happens between these six siblings as new family members join in to the last name. This film stars Loretta Devine, as Shirley Ann Whitfield or “Ma’Dere”. Delroy Lindo as Joe Black, whom is rather new to the family. Idris Elba as Quentin Whitfield Jr., the oldest sibling. Regina King as Lisa Whitfield-Moore. Sharon Leal as Kelli Whitfield. Columbus Short as Claude Whitfield, who serves in the military. Lauren Londan as Melanie Whitfield. Chris Brown as Michael Whitfield or “ Baby”. Laz Alonso as Malcolm Moore, whom is married into the family. Rickey Harris, as Cousin Fred Whitfield. Jessica Stroop as Sandi Whitfield, whom is new married into the family. These actors and actresses really come together to give the imagine that they sincerely care about one another.
Throughout this story there are numerous amounts of conflict. A man is trying to set a grounded foundation with a family whom is not completely accepting him because he is not their father. There is a the oldest sibling, Quentin Whitfield Jr., who hasn’t been home for years and now has trouble following him. Another one of the siblings comes home to surprise his mother but by doing so, he disobeyed federal orders. The female siblings also have a few problems of their own. From broken marriages to mistrust within one another, there is a ton of heartfelt drama. Sandi Whitfield, whom is new married into the family has a small problem of her own that her husband Claude Whitfield has no clue about.

This film is considered a family comedy. The conflicts that occur are common family issues, although no family handles them exactly the same. This movie shows that your family will always be there for you, and that they love you no matter what. This also shows that families do not grow only through birth, but also through marriage. You guys must grow together and learn to love one another. Acceptance is key through this process. In my opinion, this movie is a great film to watch no matter what time of year it is. It reminds me that when the tough gets going, you’ll always have your family to depend on.