Stomp the Yard | Teen Ink

Stomp the Yard

The Importance of Brotherhood

The movie “Stomp the yard” was directed by Sylvain White. It centers on Dj Williams and his life as a stepper. The film stars Columbus Short as Dj Williams, Meagan Good as April Palmer, Darrin Henson as Grant, Brian White as Sylvester, Laz Alonzo as Zeke, Valarie Pettiford as Jackie, Harry Lennx as Nate, Ne-yo as Rich Brown, Chris Brown as Duron(Dj brother), Jermaine Williams as Noel. April Clark as Maya, and Allan Louis as Dr. Palmar.
Dj and his brother Duron live in Los Angeles. They have a dance crew named “Goon Squad”. They battled at a dance battle in Los Angeles . They ended up winning. On their way home the crew that lost attacked Dj and his crew. The head member of the crew was beating up Dj and Duron came over to get him off his brother.
Dj’s mother made him move to Atlanta, Georgia to live with his aunt and uncle (Jackie and Nate). He attended Truth University. His uncle Nate puts him to work doing maintenance as a part of work study. After registration, he moves into his dorm room where he meets is new roommate Rich Brown (Ne-yo). Dj goes to a stepping competition where Theta Nu Theta and Mu Gamma Xi are competing. Dj dances at club Phoenix that night. Dj battles Grant at the club. The next day, head of Mu Gamma Xi, Zeke approaches Dj while he is doing some yard work to offer him a spot on the team. Later that day he gets an offer from Theta Nu Theta as well. He starts to get closer to April. They end up going to eat that night. April tells him to visit Heritage Hall . He then decides to pledge. Sky lets Dj teach the crew new moves as a compromise. As the movies goes on some things happen with Dj and the Thetas and the Mu Gamma Xi goes to a step competition with the other teams.
I personally wouldn’t change anything about this movie. The way this movie was written had a good message to it; and I as a person wouldn’t be able to think of a better way to make this movie unless it had a whole different morel to the story.
I believe most people would love this movie if you enjoy dance movies. There are celebrities in this movie that he or she would find attractive. If you are interested into African- American movies, then it is worth watching. I would recommend this movie to teenagers and young adults because it has a really inspiring moral to the story. It’s really touching and makes you think about how things aren’t always about you all the time. It teaches you about brotherhood. How family will always be there for you.