Radio | Teen Ink

Radio

This movie absolutely touched me. I was thoroughly impressed with Cuba Gooding Junior’s ability to switch from the comedic role in Rat Race, to the touching role, of a mentally challenged man in the movie Radio. This PG movie really taught me how hard life can be for other people. In this movie we learn about a man who collects radios and loves to listen to music, nicknamed radio. Coach Jones (Ed Harris) is a football coach at the High school his daughter goes to. He realizes Radio needs some attention and when some of the team members tie radio up in a shed and throw foot balls at it to scare him, Coach Jones decides it’s time to take action. The coach appoints Radio as assistant manager of the football and basketball team, and places Radio in the eleventh grade. All the students at the high school are instantly friends with Radio and he enjoys school so much, Radio said “No, I don’t want to leave the eleventh grade.” The school board keeps trying to take radio from the school, because of some pranks pulled on Radio, but Coach Jones won’t give up. Just when it seems bad there is a death in Radio’s family and, a man from the barber shop, which Coach Jones visits regularly for coffee, sees Radio as a distraction to his son who is on the football and basket ball teams. Now Coach Jones and the principal are fighting with the school board and even a friend, to get Radio an education. Radio, is a really touching movie, so be warned, bring your box of tissues.
Picture courtesy of http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2764151040/tt0316465.