The Hunger Games: Catching fire | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: Catching fire

February 2, 2014
By bananamonkey2699 BRONZE, South Brunswick, New Jersey
bananamonkey2699 BRONZE, South Brunswick, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

If you are a teenager looking for an exciting and adventurous movie to watch over the weekend, then you should see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Catching Fire was mainly directed at ages thirteen to sixteen. The content of the movie was a little too violent for kids.
In the movie, Katniss Everdeen (the main character) comes back from winning the hunger games, a survival contest in which twenty-four children are taken from the outlying twelve districts to the Capitol to participate in a fight to the death. The victor is given all the food they can eat and allowed to live in a place called the Victor’s Village. As Katniss returns, there is talk of rebellion in Panem (post-apocalyptic North America). The president says he will kill Gale, who is Katniss’s boyfriend, if she doesn’t cooperate with him. She decides to cooperate with the president but he sends her into the Quarter Quell, a contest that celebrates the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Hunger Games by choosing twenty-four victors of the Hunger Games to compete once more.
I give this movie a nine in a scale of ten. This movie has everything. The acting by Jennifer Lawrence was superb, because the expressions on her face were so real that she seemed to be experiencing the situations in the movie. The audience could never have known the scene was fictional if they hadn’t seen the credits because of the reality of Lawrence’s acting. One shortcoming of the film is that it is hard for those who have not seen the previous movie to catch up with the story. The setting of the movie doesn’t adequately introduce the characters. However, these factors only keep you wondering for a little while. The scenes in the movie were exceptional. There were so many fights, explosions, deaths and action that everybody who watches the film will be sitting on the edge of their chairs and trying to not blink. I guarantee it. This is a great movie with very few mistakes. Catching Fire, aimed at an audience of thirteen-to-sixteen-year-olds, poignantly and powerfully portrays the costly sacrifices brave teens are willing to make for those they love.