Some Like It Hot | Teen Ink

Some Like It Hot

Outrageous even today, Some Like It Hot is an American Film Institute top 100 choice. Featuring such eternal names as Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. Winner of 3 Oscars, and a 6 time nominee. Winner of 3 Golden Globes, best comedy, best comedy actor, and best comedy actress. Nominated to the Grammy’s. The movie follows two bumbling musicians, Jerry and Joe during prohibition, constantly providing comic relief through their quarrels, from escaping a raid on an underground bar to them withnessing the St. Valentines Day Massacre, all the way to Florida. The movie opens up with a classic cops and criminals car chase. The black and white adds to the nostalgic feeling. After the gangsters escape the cops, one opens a coffin full of bootlegged alcohol. Then, the scene changes to a funeral parlor, fronting for an underground night club. Which perfectly sets the scene. We see a cop enter undercover, then the scene switches to two of the musicians. They are busy arguing about betting on a horse thats 10 to 1 in its next race, and about all the money they have borrowed. They see his badge and start packing up. They escape and proceed to begin arguing again. Joe wonders aloud if he could bet their overcoats on a horse. The scene opens again in daylight, featuring the two men walking through a snowy morning without overcoats, once again arguing, this time over whether Joe can bet Jerry’s instrument. The movie is full of cute touches like that, then a secretary at an agency tricks them into applying for a gig with an all girls band. After that nasty trick the men go down to borrow her car, and in the process witness the St. Valentines day Massacre. On the run form the mob they call the girls band and get the slots, the only problem...they aren’t female. This sets up a whole movie full of great comedy. Dressed as women, they enter a train station the next morning arguing about high heels. They ride to Florida, the train ride full of innuendos that only the audience understands, bringing the audience closer to the movie with these glorified inside jokes. one is busy going after Marilyn while the other tries to thwart him. In Florida, while Jerry goes to the beach with all the girls, Joe goes dressed as a millionaire, Marilyn falls for him, and a true millionaire, Osgood, is busy harrassing Jerry. The writer expertly created a huge mess of a love triangle, but it’s more complex. Joe and Jerry continue to get into it in front of Marilyn, constantly hinting at the truth. One night, Jerry goes dancing with Osgood, while Joe sneaks onto Osgoods yacht with Marilyn. Then the mob shows up for their annual meeting, under the guise of an Italia opera club. They end up running all over like in a cartoon. Then they escape with Osgood, who doesn’t care that Jerry is a girl, saying, “Nobody’s perfect,” the best line of the movie. This movie is a classic for a reason, the acting is legendary and it features a cleaner humor then a movie today would. The movie is full of hints and clues that create jokes for the audience, the characters pretty much wear out innuendo as a way to create humor. But all in all, its the best black and white movie I have ever seen.

We had limits for movies. It had to be foreign to us and on the AFI top 100 list. This was the only one I had.