Rocky | Teen Ink

Rocky

By J.Block1752 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
J.Block1752 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

The film Rocky was released in 1976, is classic, triumphant, feel-good story about realizing your potential, taking your best shot, sticking by your girl and that it doesn’t matter how big of obstacle, it can be achieved through heart and hard work. Rocky Balboa, a small-town underdog boxer who’s given the chance to fight the heavyweight champion of the world, in a bout which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect. In the film, Rocky is a punk club fighter from the back streets of Philly, working by day as an enforcer for a small-time juiceman, and in his free time works out at Mickey’s Gym. The movie ventures into fantasy when the world heavyweight champion, Apollo Creed, decides to schedule a bout on New Years Eve-- to prove that America is still the land of opportunity. Rocky gets picked because of his name, The Italian Stallion; the champ likes the racial contrast. Mickey trains and builds Balboa into the relentless competitor he was always suppose to be and by the end of the film he fulfills his potential and becomes world champion. I think the movie is a great beacon for those who feel defeated, it shows that no matter the circumstance it can be achieved and can be done and absolutely nothing is impossible. It also portrays love in a complex, unorthodox way which is interesting to is an American classic and speaks for itself, but the deeper, less superficial side of the movie when you’re not just looking at the facade of the film; but a look between the lines.