Circle Of Friends | Teen Ink

Circle Of Friends MAG

A new movie, set in Ireland, debuted this March called Circle of Friends. Based on the novel by Dubliner Maeve Binchy, it has to be one of the best movies I've seen this year. Circle of Friends stars Chris O'Donnell, the only American in the movie, who has the look of a traditional Irish lad. His character, Jack Foley, is the popular, beguiling son of a doctor.

Also starring is newcomer Minnie Driver who magnificently plays the part of the sturdy, chestnut-haired Bernadette "Benny" Hogan. Benny is an only child who yearns to break free from the iron-clad grasp of her over-protective parents.

Eve Malon (played by Geraldine O'Rawe) is the petite, sensitive daughter of two deceased parents who is taken in by the nuns of Saint Mary's in the tiny town of Knockglen, Ireland. Eve and Benny have been soul-mates and chums throughout childhood.

Also starring is Saffron Burrows playing the gorgeous, flirtatious golden-haired Nan Mahon. Nan is the prom queen-type and most often is seen with quite a horde of guys around her.

Circle of Friends is the tale of Cinderella finding her Prince Charming. Benny always assumed she would never find the man of her dreams, but dreams do come true; Jack Foley found her first. Jack is attracted to Benny because of her self-assurance and emotional stability that he wishes he possessed.

The reason I enjoyed Circle of Friends is because the characters seemed so genuinely real. There were no heroines or heroes, nor were there cheesy romances. Benny seemed like a real young woman with overprotective parents, having to choose between her family and her friends. Jack felt lost and confused because he always tried to live up to his father's (and other's) expectations of him.

Circle of Friends is a movie for anyone who feels that the only one they love is out of their reach. .