Ghost | Teen Ink

Ghost MAG

I heard a lot of good things about "Ghost," the "comedy, romance, and supernatural thriller rolled into one," but it turned out to be unbearably corny and embarrassingly predictable. Patrick Swayze plays Sam Wheat, an investment banker who is being cheated by his best friend, and whose only flaw is that he never tells his girlfriend, Molly (Demi Moore) he loves her,he just says "Ditto" when she says "I love you." He is murdered early in the movie, leaving Molly miserable but somehow convinced that she can still feel Sam's presence. She can, because Sam, now a ghost, has been hanging around their apartment trying in vain to communicate with her. He also snoops around a bit, and, inevitably, finds out that his death was not an accident, and that Molly is also in danger.

Enter Rita Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) a spiritual quack who turns out to truly have The Gift, and is the only one who can hear Sam speak. This character is the source of the only genuine humor in the film. He convinces her to help him get the message to Molly that the police have to investigate his murder, that she's in danger, and that their best friend is in on it. Meanwhile Sam has to watch helplessly as his friend comes on to Molly.

This movie had no surprises, and the ghosts didn't even do anything really cool,just walking through walls and throwing some things around. The special effects were convincing enough but just weren't particularly impressive. At the overly emotional ending, when Sam saves Molly and the bad guy is gruesomely killed, a holy light falls from the heavens onto Sam so that Molly can see him before he goes, and he finally says "I love you, Molly" The audience groans when she responds, smiling through her tears, "Ditto."n

beth said...
This is rubbish Ghost is amazing !