Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

laurenevansok SILVER, Bromborough, Other

'One person's "annoying" is another person's "inspiring and heroic"' - Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation)

This is the first review I've read on this website, and I've fallen in love with it. After reading this review I HAD to sign up to be apart of Teen Ink. This piece of writing is phenominal and I found myself smiling throughout. Well done!

i adore twilight i read;twilight,new moon, and now i have only 70 pages to go to breaking dawn. and based on this reveiw it is very suspensful and makes anyone want to read more about this twilight saga just like me.

Dolly9471 BRONZE, Berkeley Heights, New Jersey

In the end will will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.

A very well-written review. You should be a critic! (-:

TheNerdGirl PLATINUM, Glen Ellyn, Illinois

Shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll still end up among the star's

You obivously not a vampire fan because theses arent real vampires. they are sparkly super humans that live forever. I mean these people dont even drink humans blood

Debi8 said...
Debi8, Bushkill, Pennsylvania

May the bridges I burn light the way

I liked your review, but all the Twilight movies suck. I tried reading the first book and i could not get through the first couple pages. I hate Twilight to death and i am so glad that it is finally over! But your review was well writen, so good job.

America Bejarano BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Amazing review I loved it ,it ,ade me want to see it (:

Absterie said...
Okay this was a compelling review, but I would just like to correct something... This is NOT all teenagers' points of view as the links say, like I hate Twilight to death and I have a right to; I have seen all the movies. This was a great review but SSSOOO FAKE. The end, thanks for your time.

I agree with one things: KStew and RPatz played their roles flawlessly. KStew, with her lack of facial expression, appropriately conveyed the dullness of the character Bella, and RPatz, with his hatred of the character Edward, perfectly pulled off Edward's self-hatred.

@Ice_Queen - Are you joking? Nobody thinks Romeo and Juliet sucks. Whoever taught it to you and disliked it was a very tiny minority among teachers.

Oh, no... that really sucks for you.

XxEmo_VampxX said...
I agree w/ u TuffGurl,,,,PFach(Carlisle) is gorgeous and HAWT, Peter portrayed Carlisle's character perfectly, they did make him a little too pale in the hospital scene but he is till stunningly sexy,and his accent for all of the movies makes me melt,,,lol i'm a sucker for English accents. I reckon SM did a fantastic job, i mean if u think bout all the effort she/directors/crew has put into the Twilight movies, it does add up. and it's a tale about forbidden love and it shows the human nature of vampires unlike other vampire movies with gore in em twilight is more subtle and more about the human side of vampires.

molly reid said...
molly reid, Ballymena, Other
I love your review it has persuaded me to go and read the book and view the movie!

BellaCharlie said...
BellaCharlie, Osler, Other

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!
-Audrey Hepburn

Your review is really good. You gave details that drew the reader in without giving away the ending. I love the Twilight book series, but I have trouble watching the movie because I am one of those people who get frustrated when movies do not match the books exactly. However, you made the movie sound awesome. Fantastic job!

sunnyday said...
Twilight is awesome! I like it because of the mysterious ways of Edward and Jacob. I am obsessed with vampires. I don't know why. Maybe it is because of their rock hard abs, but i love them. They are so amazing. I've wanted to be a vampire for a long time.

Snark said...
The reason so many people like Twilight is actually pretty simple: there is a stereotype for every single 'type' of guy. Emmett: the friendly jock. Edward: the untouchable angsty rich guy. Jasper: brooding with a hint of danger. Carlisle: all-around nice guy and doctor. It's really quite shallow.

Snark said...
No, really, you're not missing a single thing. Please preserve your sanity by avoiding the books, movies, or anything to do with the series like the bubonic plague. It seems to be equally as infectious.

Snark said...
Really. In a book where vampires periodically kill each other by ripping their opponents apart limb from limb and incinerating the twitching remains. Don't even get me started on the actual story.

While I whole-heartedly agree, I know that some people will always love this series and we can't change that. Have fun reading Twilight, guys. Don't come complaining to me when it gets bad.

Time Lord said...
...And it's a good thing to live vicarousily through a (badly written) book character?

ahren said...

You seem devoted. Someone who hasn't yet read the books or watched the movies would actually be inclined to read it. I like the review. Twilight series- I do not.

For someone who's had the misfortune to read the books and bump across the movies during channel surfing rampages, the article seems to elevate them beyond belief. For one, the themes in the book are not merely trite and un-original (vampire, forbidden love, love triangles. really?) but the writing style is disappointingly one-dimensional and morose. Also, angst and vampires has been done and done by Anne Rice. Brilliantly.

As for the movies...if anything can make the books worse, it's the movies. Stewart seems barely convinced herself with what she's doing, let alone her being able to convince the audience. Pattinson- a fairly decent actor otherwise- seems to have deliberated his skills to match those of Stewart. Lautner does a decent job as does the rest of the supporting cast- more or less- but with the main two characters acting like washboards, the movies are painful to watch. Or funny, depending on your mood.

For good vampire shows/books/movies- Blade, Van Helsing, Dracula(obviously), Let Me In, Anne Rice stuff.

For good vampire AND forbidden love- Buffy. The special effects might not have been the best at that time, but Whedon remains a god.