Frozen | Teen Ink

Frozen

By Haley Ingersoll BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Haley Ingersoll BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

“Frozen” Brings on the Heat
Frozen is Disney’s newest animated hit movie. It’s cute characters and catchy songs make it a beloved film for children across America. Although this movie was made for kids no older than the age of ten, Frozen is a huge hit amongst an age group you would never expect: teenagers.
Frozen is a Disney princess movie that is unlike others. It starts off by showing the lives of a king and queen and their two daughters. The older daughter, Elsa, has the power to create and make things with ice. One day she accidentally hurts her little sister, Anna, with this power, and it is decided that she now must keep this dangerous curse hidden. As if that isn’t already a big enough burden on a child, their parents die and Elsa must become queen, and because of that she has to keep her powers concealed. So what makes this heart wrenching Disney tale so appealing to teens?
Teenagers need to be able to relate to something. With all of the changes going on in their lives, it often feels like they’re the only ones to have ever gone through it. It’s easy to see how a teenager could relate to having to take on large responsibilities (like Elsa). It’s even more relatable to young adolescents with siblings! As a younger sibling, one could relate to Anna. Nobody like taking orders from their older sister! However, being an older sibling means watching out for the little ones, which is exactly what Elsa tries doing with Anna. Teens will no doubt find something that they can connect with in this movie.
This epic tale isn’t just relatable, it’s original too! Frozen isn’t your typical princess fairytale: the princess gets saved by Prince Charming and they live happily ever after. The movie has so much more to the plot, which is why teens are going crazy for it. After Elsa’s powers were discovered by her kingdom, she is forced to flee. Anna and her new pal Kristoff, go on a search for her to bring her home. After a series of heartbreaking events, Anna is in serious danger and is told that only true love can save her. Now the entire audience thinks that her sexy boy toy will come to Anna’s rescue, but (spoiler alert) he doesn’t. The true love that saved Anna’s life came from her sister, Elsa (awww!). A little originality goes a long way with teens. They’re sick of the same old princess story that they grew up with.
Frozen was a fantastic movie. It had a strong plot with an abundance of conflict, but with just the right amount of comic relief. The songs were catchy enough to stay in your head for weeks after seeing it (and trust me, they will). All in all it’s a must see for any age group. Especially if you’re a teenager: you might find yourself relating to a kids movie more than you thought you ever would.