Non-stop | Teen Ink

Non-stop

April 11, 2014
By Krista Hightower BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Krista Hightower BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

People have been increasingly drawn to suspense movies since the turn of the century. What brings these moviegoers to choose Non-stop over Endless Love? There are multiple reasons why suspense movies are “so in” right now.
Suspense has been immortalized by people’s infatuation with problem solving and busting the bad guy. In suspense movies, you’re never sure who’s who. People just have to go see if the good guy is who he says he is. When you find out that the “monster” in Scooby Doo is actually the mail man, you’re left in shock. This is also why suspense is so intriguing. You never know what’s coming and it is a pleasant surprise when the movie takes an unexpected turn. This is favored over the extremely predictable Twilight. Oh wow Bella fell in love with Edward? How crazy! People don’t want to know what’s coming; they want it to be unexpected, just like real life. Life is like a suspense movie; you never know what the outcome will be. Ultimately, this genre proves to be very appealing.
In the suspense movie, Non-stop, an air marshal boards a flight to London without knowing the terror that will ensue. The marshal, Bill Marks, receives an anonymous message threatening to kill someone every twenty minutes. Marks worked relentlessly to find the hijacker. Despite his efforts, he could not find the perpetrator because he covered his tracks too seamlessly. The audience was stumped. Everyone was frantically thinking of all the possibilities to no avail. The movie engulfed the audience. Non-stop demonstrated all the necessary characteristics of suspense. It allowed people to try and figure out who the antagonist was. Also the movie was full of surprises and never disappointed the audience. There were huge twists that no one could’ve seen coming. Non-stop is a prime example of why suspense is thriving.
Personally I was obsessed with the movie. It incorporated surprises, deception, humor, hatred, action, etc. I was never truly sure where the path would lead. While watching the movie I was literally on the edge of my seat with my eyes glued to the screen (figuratively). In one word I would describe Non-stop as unexpected. I couldn’t tell you how many times my jaw was left hanging from the events that occurred in the movie. With a perfect blend of suspense and action, this movie is high on my list of favorites.
The suspense genre cannot be killed because it will continually lure in a multitude of customers. Every time a new suspense comes along, people are rushing to see it. Everyone is looking for a mix of unpredictable and mind-blowing. For this reason, the suspense genre will remain standing tall.