How to Train Your Dragon | Teen Ink

How to Train Your Dragon

April 11, 2014
By Addirea BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Addirea BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How to Train Your Dragon
We all know them and we all love them: animated movies. The animated film industry is a very lucrative place for the powerhouse filmmaking companies like Dreamworks and Pixar. Reason being that ninety-nine percent of their movies are more or less geared toward and advertised as childrens movies. Though this is where those companies got smart; not only did they make these movies fun, colorful, and exciting at the surface for children, but they also make sure to put deeper relatable themes a bit deeper as to hit an older audience. The element that the deeper plot gives to a movie is the rewatchability of it from a vast aray of age groups.

Themes that are made for adults with the cover of a children movie will make a ton money. It’s just a fact that people enjoy trying to find the deeper meaning in anything they see. Whether this be art or in this case movies people love finding thing out and deciphering what is happening in front of them. With allusions and such thrown in to appease this thirst for knowing is why adults enjoy kids movies. Because there is almost always something in there that a child wouldn’t understand but they will.


These movies that have really work the ploy of a surface of colorful moving pictures with fun storylines with the deeper meanings: How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story, and The Lion King. These movies are timeless because of the way they can appeal to more than one generation. We’ve all been there that feeling of relation with the main character and whatever he/she is going through. The themes of not always belonging or being an outcast are things that most adults can relate to or at least sympathize for. This obviously leads to a wider demographic by which the producers and everybody involved can make tons of money off of.


The movie How to Train Your Dragon though is one movie that does one of the best jobs at portraying a story for both children and adults. The younger kids love it because it has dragons, action, and comedic value to it. Adults love it for the story about a boy with a disapproving parent and the whole underdog aspect of the whole thing. How to Train Your Dragon is meant to hit the hearts of anybody who watches it. Even since the theme is a bit overused we do get to see some change of pace during the movie. The fact that the main character doesn’t have a mother is a nice change from the usual single mother spiel that is seen many times in animated films. Also the deception used by our main character to work his way out of people’s suspicion helps bring our underdog theme into a new light. Basically How to Train Your Dragon is a great movie that can be enjoyed by anybody that wants to watch it.