Frozen | Teen Ink

Frozen

By raelynstevenson BRONZE, Phoeniz, Arizona
raelynstevenson BRONZE, Phoeniz, Arizona

Disney Isn’t Just For kids

It is no secret that Disney films have always been able to capture the childhood emotions shared by children and adults. From the inability to control our own fears and emotions and the loneliness of children, Frozen does an exemplary job at creating the real life feel of the story. The film has a multitude of happy characters, but just as many sad ones. Elsa has to overcome her fear of being exposed as some monster, Anna trying to live up to the expectation of her sister. Even Olaf is sad, but he doesn’t realize it as he sings his original song about summer, not knowing that he will melt when it comes around.

When you go into a movie theatre to watch a Disney film you will see families with young children; however, you will also see many teenagers. Because the little ones are so young, they do not recognize the importance of family that the movie tries to get across to the audience because let’s face it, the only thing kids know about family is that they can count on their Mommy or Daddy to punish their siblings when they are being mean. They like watching the movies because they are cartoons and feature good songs to sing along to. As they grow older, teenagers are able to understand that family is something to recognize and cherish every second spent with their families. The teenagers and parents that go to see the films are reminded of their childhood that is still alive inside of them.

The movie’s protagonist, Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell), is one of the two princesses of Arendelle. The other princess, Elsa (voiced by Idina Menzel), is a girl born with magical ice powers. On Coronation Day, Elsa’s ice powers are exposed and she freezes all of Arendelle after her sister Anna tries to get engaged to the charming-yet-evil Prince Hans of the Southern Isles. Anna teams up with an iceman Kristoff, his reindeer Sven, and a singing snowman named Olaf. Along the way they encounter a giant and evil snowman and magical singing trolls. They set off an adventure to save their home from utter destruction.

Frozen is a great family movie. It reminds children that family comes first as well as entertaining them, and reminds the parents and teenagers about their childhood. It is easy to understand why the kids love it and now it’s easy to understand why the parents are smiling when they leave the theatre. Many critics will try to convince the audience that Frozen is just like any other Disney film, but this one relates to family lessons in particular. It is important for Disney films to express the meaning of family because of the ages of their audience. This cool comedy displays t meaning of family without boring the audience of all ages.