Frozen | Teen Ink

Frozen

April 11, 2014
By MeganP BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
MeganP BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Children’s Films Frozen in Adult’s Hearts?


Most of America loves films that they can watch with their family and friends, but with restricted rated movies on the rise, there’s no wonder why more people are watching children’s movies. Many children’s films are made and advertised for specifically one gender. Boys with cars and heroes and girls with princesses and fairies.


But there are reasons why more people are seeing these films more than in past years. It’s because a child does not need an adult to go see the film with them. Imagine a ten year old in the mall with their friends, who are also ten. They don’t have any parents with them so there is no chance that they are going to get into any sort of movie rated PG-13 or above. In today’s society, 10-13 year olds are going to more and more places by themselves. It makes sense why these view rates are going up.


What about all the teenagers who are addicted to these children movies? Maybe they want a taste of their childhood again, maybe they want to make fun of the movie with their friends, or maybe young adults just like animated movies. I mean, how many PG-13 movies or above are animated? Not very many. It is because of this that they attract so many teens. Although, it is not just children and teens making these numbers rise: adults are the cause too.


Usually, when adults go to see a children’s film, they bring their whole family (on average is five people). And when people like the movie a lot, they go back to see it 4 or 5 more times. For example, my friends and I have gone to see the movie Frozen five different times.


Frozen, like most other girls films, has princesses in it. Watching Frozen reminded me a lot of the movie Tangled. The characters look, and sound, and even somewhat act the same. But unlike Tangled, Frozen has princesses in it that are not famous. Tangled’s main character is Rapunzel while Frozen has a whole new set of princesses that you have never heard about in any sort of bedtime story.


Frozen is a very well made creative movie with somewhat cute characters and some funny (and not so funny) songs. It’s your classic princess movie with “finding true love.” I feel like this film shortens the “finding true love” part and it goes more to what happens after finding their one person. The youngest princess, Anna, believes that she has found her one and only true love and she thinks they are going to get married and live a happy life together. But this film has a strange twist to it. The guy she loves turns out to be a major jerk face and was using her to get rich and have authority over land. I hope that I’m not the only person who feels like this is what happens after the happy ending in other princess stories because, in most princess stories, the princess sees a man for the first time and then they get married without even knowing the guy very well. That’s the equivalent of marrying someone and then going to their house for the first time and finding out they are a hoarder in the real world. Like, you should talk about that kind of stuff before you just marry them. Frozen does exactly this and then shows that the true love is between Anna and her sister Elsa. It shows that true love is not just between two people, it’s also among your family too. Frozen is not a remake of any other fairy tale, and I highly recommend it for people of all genders and ages.