Happy Gilmore | Teen Ink

Happy Gilmore

April 11, 2014
By B.Ott BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
B.Ott BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Happy Gilmore Makes Happy Viewers


When viewers begin to watch a comedy film the first thing you want to do is laugh. But is laughter the true aspect of a comedy movie? Of course it is, if people didn’t laugh during a comedy movie who would see it? Comedies are the movies anybody would want to view, but particularly teenagers. Teens tend to laugh more often because they have more friends and people to interact with at school. Another thing teenagers want is to be happy, and comedies are known for making people elated. The elements of a comedy usually contain a main character who is characterized differently than normal humans. The character has something distinctive about them that makes the audience laugh when watching that person. And if the movie isn’t funny, then what’s the point of the story?


Comedies are more likely to be viewed by teenagers because certain comedies that have a more sophisticated setting will make teenagers feel cool and more mature. In most teenagers opinion’s, including mine, the higher the rating is for the movie, the more joy you’re going to get. Just comparing two movies like The Breakfast Club, rated R, and Cheaper By the Dozen, PG, you truly know both are hilarious, yet more teens would much rather talk about The Breakfast Club because the setting is in High School. The rating of the comedy film portrays a different analysis of the movie by teens because of the fact you can’t be a teenager forever. Teenagers are the biggest attraction to comedies; as a result, teens are known for watching all types of comedies because they’re not too old or young. Comedy movies have a special connection with the youth; high school kids love to see movies with their friends. If teenagers weren’t around to spend their last bit of cash at the movie theatre and spread the word about the great comedy they just watched, comedies would not be as successful at the box office.


Sometimes watching films from another generation is special to a new generation; for example, the movie Happy Gilmore is an excellent film that this generation would want to see. Happy Gilmore serves as a basic comedy movie that has some inappropriate language and contents, but does its job at making people laugh. Teenagers are drawn to movies like Happy Gilmore because these comedies are hilarious and give each teen a dose of reality. PG-13 is the perfect rating for teenagers to view; teenagers can understand everything they talk about and laugh at crude humor. Movies like Happy Gilmore create more attention to teenagers by being successful, a riot, and the right rating to fit a teenage life.



The amusing movie Happy Gilmore is the type of movie that anybody wants to see. Happy, played by Adam Sandler, is a hockey player, well really a hockey want-to-be-player. After several years of not making the hockey team, Happy finds a new talent when betting money with some men. Happy ends up finding out golf is a sport he can play magnificently. The comedy Happy Gilmore takes a small spin into a bit of romance when Happy falls for the PR lady of the gold tour and ends up falling in love with her. As Happy plays in different tournaments to get money for his grandmother’s house, he realizes he’s a golf player, not a hockey player. The movie has fantastic moments to make you laugh. The story of Happy unravels so you can see he’s changing himself for the better; Happy’s change in direction is a great way to help teenagers see how to outgrow sophomoric behavior and learn the key steps to growing up and chasing dreams. Happy ends up finding his dream and saving his grandmother’s home, creating a perfect, humorous, happy ending.