Silver Linings Playbook | Teen Ink

Silver Linings Playbook

May 12, 2014
By Fajjar BRONZE, Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Fajjar BRONZE, Chicago Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land!” Peter Pan


Silver Linings Playbook is a film that shows us that there is a silver lining everywhere and you just have to be brave enough to go after it. In the film we are introduced to Pat played by Bradley cooper who admits to finding his silver lining, Tiffany played by Jennifer Lawrence, who he fell for at the start but was to scared to acknowledge it at first. Through out the movie we see so many strengths in the movie.

One of the strengths in the film is the setting. With this suburban setting in Philadelphia, so much is accomplished for the storyline. One of the great scenes that accomplish this is at the start of the film. This is when a high school boy tries to interview Pat. This really helps show us that the community is not used to being around someone like Pat who is bipolar and was just released from a mental institute. The idea of just adding this little piece to the film really captures the emotions. Another scene that really shows us how setting plays a big part in what made this movie so great is when Tiffany is hinted at by a cop to go out some time to get intimate due to Tiffanies history. This really shows how the setting is involved with how everyone knows what everyone’s past was like.

A secondary strength in the film is the casting. With so many important characters in the film it becomes difficulty to get everything just right. This problem is not the case for Silver Linings Playbook thought. When we see Pat’s mother played by Jacki Weaver we can feel a mothers concern for her son as the viewer. The emotions come out in the scene after when a bet is made between Pats father played by Robert De Niro and Randy played by Paul Herman. In this part we see how the thought of lying to her Son, Pat, really kills her even thought its for the best. Not only do we get touched by a mothers love for her son but also a father’s love. We can see a mind-boggling relationship between Pat and his father but that all comes together at the end of the film. At the end we can see that Pats father really wants what is best for his son and to do so he tells him to go after his one an only silver lining, Tiffany.

Lastly there is the one strength that really makes this movie what it is, the love connection that is formed. From the crazy backgrounds of the charters to the outrages outbursts in the movie the love connection that is formed is one of the most important parts that really tie every thing together. The crazy love connection between Pat and Tiffany is one of an original. From finding his wife cheating on him with a former coworker to their wedding song is a bit of a blow. As for Tiffany to become a widow at such an early age is as well but also having an intimate relationship with every co-worker is a shocker. These two are able to come together with a connection like no other. The way tiffany is able to comfort Pat and how Pat can handle all of Tiffanies loose screws.

All in all with so many positive aspects in one movie there is no denying how great it is. To the craziness in the characters to the funny comments and superstations this movie is a hit. No one will be able to leave their seats.


The author's comments:
I did this Piece for class but I really liked it so I am posting it.