The Hunger Games: Catching Fire | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

By kaitlin patterson BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
kaitlin patterson BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Movie Review
The Hunger Games Review
The hunger Games: Catching Fire is the second movie of the trilogy. From the cast to the set everything was very well put together and it is by far the best out of the two Hunger Games movies. I believe this has to be the best sequel I have seen because the director, Francis Lawrence, takes it to a whole new level. The director creates what seems to be a whole new version of the first movie, meaning that he makes it into a whole new interpretation for the viewer’s eyes. Catching Fire has many great features and can be given many descriptions.
Distinguishing between the first Hunger Games movie to Catching Fire, Catching Fire has more of an exciting yet dark vibe to it. The first one is still a very good movie but it doesn’t give off as much the exciting and surprising feel. In Catching Fire, the world of Panem is more developed and more introduced into the movie. We are shown more of what it looks like and what the people are like within it. Also in Catching Fire, the world of The Hunger Games is revealed more thoroughly as to how the people react to it and who is behind it all. While expanding the world of Panem, this plot line still stays true to the first movie in that Peeta and Katniss have to take on the Hunger Games for a second time. This made the movie’s plot very unexpected since most viewers thought that they would be done with the games.
Going further beyond the differences from the first movie, Catching Fire is remarkably an outstanding film. It is way more than any ordinary action film. The main themes that are shown are revolt, anticipation, and reform. Revolt is mainly seen when Katniss secretly and politely hates the Hunger Games even though she hides her feeling of it very well. Anticipation is presented in two main aspects. The first is when the tributes have hope for winning the games and predict that they will. The second time is when the people of Panem anticipate who will eventually win the Hunger Games. Reform is the last main theme shown in this film and it seen when Katniss and Peeta have to finally somewhat accept the orders that they have to follow from the Capitol in order to survive there. Reform is additionally shown when the twelve Districts are seeking for a revolution to change their way of life. These are seen throughout the movie and they further enhance the film because it shows specifically what the movies purpose is. It also has many issues that we face today incorporated into it like the poor vs. the wealthy, politics or government, and people who want power over everyone.
Another major contribution to this film was the cinematography. Although it looks unrealistic, it gives you a feel of the future. The time and effort put into making the picture perfect is really shown in the entire movie. From the costumes to the further view of the capitol, Catching Fire definitely creates more of a visual than the first Hunger Games. During the first movie I was waiting and waiting until the capitol was going to be shown. The first movie failed at the task of introducing to the viewers to the people in power and where they lived. Catching Fire fulfilled the task and went even deeper than just showing what the Capitol looked like. It showed what it was like being inside of it, and also how the people interacted there. My favorite part of this movie has to be when the Capitol is introduced because it answers all of the questions as to who is behind the Games and what the people’s opinions are of them. Along with getting answers, it was the most interesting part of the movie since it showed the style of the Capitol and all of the interesting clothes the people were wearing.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was overall an amazing movie. It fulfilled all of the wants and needs from the end of the first movie, and turned out to be just as amazing as the first Hunger Games. During the entire film you are not expecting any of the events that take place. It comes as a complete surprise and keeps you on our toes for the entire movie. It stays interesting the whole time and does not want to make you lean back in your chair and drift off. I have to say this is one of the most astounding movies I have seen and there couldn’t be any higher expectations succeed.

Thought this movie was one of the best I have seen.