Frozen | Teen Ink

Frozen

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

Once upon a time, in the faraway kingdom of Arundel (Did I spell that right?), there were two princesses: Elsa and Anna. They were the best of friends. Then one day Elsa moved to another room, and shut Anna out. They never were together again. Suspiciously, the entire castle closed down on that day, too. Until their parents died, and Elsa inherited the crown. The castle reopens, and a major party is had. The party was lively, the music was fine, and Anna got engaged to Prince Hans of the southern isles. When she finds out, Elsa unleashes her power. A power kept so dark, no one knew. A power so cold, it freezes the entire land.
The snow queen disappears into the mountains, but the cold stays. Now Anna must go on a quest to find her sister and end the winter, with the help of an iceman named Kristoff, his reindeer Sven, and Elsa's creation: a snowman named Olaf. But all does not go as planned, and only an act of true love can heal a frozen heart. Namely Anna's. Call it a gift from Elsa.

The good stuff:
Instead of the traditional focus on finding your true love, Frozen delves into the question of "what is true love?" Comparing Anna and Hans' many similarities and common interests, and Anna and Kristoff's partnership in hard times. In one scene, Anna is slowly freezing, and Olaf builds her a fire. She tells him to leave before he melts, but he says "I'm am not leaving you until we find another act of true love to save you." Elsa tries to be nice to Anna, thinking only of her safety.

The bad stuff:
In the song "Fixer Upper" a troll-child innocently quips that Kristoff goes to the bathroom in the woods. Upon his arrival, Kristoff's 'mom' comments on how good he looks and tells him to take of his clothes (he swiftly refuses). Elsa, in self-defense, nearly stabs a man in the throat with an icicle, while a sheet of ice forces the other man to the edge of a balcony. In the song "Let it go", Elsa proclaims that there is "No right, no wrong, no rules for me..." Olaf repeatedly calls his third half his butt.
Elsa is nearly shot and beheaded, though saved at the last moment. Magic, while not over-glorified, is always present.

From the eerie "Frozen Heart" number to the pop final credits, Frozen is a hooking tale, to be sure. Possibly the best film that Disney has produced in the last....century.

Best. Sister. Movie. Ever!