Mockingjay | Teen Ink

Mockingjay

By Kaila Ambrosio BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Kaila Ambrosio BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

“If we burn, you burn with us!” The rebellion in Panem between the Capitol and majority of the districts lead to frustration, lost and continuous battles within the rebels themselves. Being a rebel in this revolution wasn’t at all easy but they pushed through to terminate the Hunger Games. Although watching the movie is way easier and almost requires no effort, the book includes much detail about the life in Panem that most likely won’t be included in the movie.
From the start of the book, Mockingjay, there was almost no stop to the remarkable details. One major detail/scene in the book that failed to be carried out in the movie were their schedules that were printed on their arms everyday in District 13. I felt as though that was a key detail to visualizing an actual day as a rebel in District 13.
I felt the director made some questionable choices with the actors that portrayed Pollux and Boggs. Even in modern times racism is still apart of the government. Pollux was insubordinate in the Capitol and became an Avox. An Avox is a person that got their tongue cut off because they were out of line. Judging by the actions of the government harsh punishment usually goes to the African Americans when acting out. Therefore I feel as though Pollux should’ve been an African American. As for Boggs, racism is still a major factor. Usually, leaders in war/battles are white males but in the movie Boggs was an African American. I feel as though Boggs should’ve been portrayed by a white male. These can be controversial depending on the way the audience views the actors.
The ending of Mockingjay Part 1 the movie was a good spot to finish. It left the audience hanging a bit but with enough information to feel like it was a complete movie. In spite the fact that there is two parts to Mockingjay, part 1 was sufficient but makes you want to watch part 2. Part 1 of Mockingjay basically stopped right before District 13 was going to advance into Capitol territory. They got all the victors from the Hunger Games back from the Capitol into District 13. All the victors were treated well and hospitalized to make sure they were 100%.
What I recommend is to read the book before you watch the movie. This is so you can see what details make or break the movie because they failed to put it in or included it. This may help you understand more of the emotion from the characters; first by reading the book and visualizing what they felt then watching the movie and seeing what they felt. So I ask you is this “real or not real?”