Mockingjay | Teen Ink

Mockingjay

December 5, 2014
By NafeF BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
NafeF BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know the film Mockingjay Pt. 1 was dedicated to actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played Plutarch Heavensbee? Mockingjay Pt. 1 is the 3rd film installment of the Hunger Games Series. It is based on the 3rd book of the Hunger Games trilogy, Mockingjay. Mockingjay is about event that happens after the previous book, Catching Fire. Katniss and the survivors of a bombing in District 12 now reside in the exclusive District 13. Mean while, Peeta and the victors that were still in the arena at the end of Catching Fire are under the Capitols control and a rebellion against the Capitol is rising with Katniss as the face of the rebellion.


If you loved the novel then you will love the movie. The movie follows the plot of the book throughout the whole movie, but the directors decided to take out some minor scenes. The only main changes the directors made was that Eiffe Trinket was taken to District 13 with Katniss, unlike in the book where Eiffe was in the Capitol most of the time and when Katniss finds out her prep team was is in prison for stealing bread was taken out of the movie.


In the new movie there is some new cast members like Mahershala Ali as Boggs. Mahershala‘s acting skills in this movie in my opinion was well. I think he represented Boggs trait, like loyalty, honor, and obedience, well. Other new cast member that I would say nailed the characters persona would be Natalie Dormer, who played Cressida, the director, and Julianne Moore, who play President Coin. The main cast of the movie I would say did the best acting in the whole movie. Jennifer Lawrence‘s acting right after the Capitol bombed District eight was superb. It sent chills up my spine because it seemed so realistic and Josh Hutcherson‘s acting throughout the movie was terrific. I thought that all the emotions were real between Peeta and Katniss.


My personal opinion is that the movie and the book are both good, but if I were to choose one it would be the movie. I think it is because I would rather see some thing with my eyes then read about it and imagine it.  The only thing that the movie didn‘t have that the novel had was Katniss’s thoughts on the events in the plot, but all movies based books are like this. I think that they ended the movie right in the right place. They ended the movie right where I predicted; right after Peeta is saved and Katniss reunites with Peeta, but instead of saying hi to Katniss, Peeta starts to attack Katniss; hospitalizing her.


Overall I think the movie was a good movie. It was filled with SFX, and a cast filled with good actors. I think that the directors did a good job of sticking to the same plot as the book. If I could I would watch this movie again. I can‘t wait for Mockingjay Pt. 2 to come out next year. I think everyone should watch this movie if they get the chance to.