The Interview | Teen Ink

The Interview

By zachbern BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
zachbern BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

The Interview is a hysterical comedy, which has caused debate over whether it should be shown or not.  Many people were interested in seeing this comedy because of the news about North Korea allegedly hacking Sony.  That this movie was going to be banned made more people want to see it to express freedom of speech.

The only reason that I saw this movie in the first place is because I was curious why North Korea wanted it banned so much.  Now I understand why they wanted it banned, because if I were a North Korean citizen, I would want it banned too!  The thing about that is I live here in the U.S. so I thought that it was hilarious! 

The reason that this movie was so funny, in my opinion, was that they made this vicious, cruel dictator seem like a nice and cool guy at first.  Slowly as the movie progresses, you start to see how evil Kim Jong-Un really is.  That is basically the whole movie until the actual interview with Kim.  The journalist played by James Franco is fooled by Kim Jong-Un and all of the luxury that he has, until the journalist sees the fake grocery store that North Korea planted right by Kim’s mansion.

It is very easy for me to see how North Koreans are offended by this movie, and the way it portrays their country.  In the U.S. we make fun of our leaders and ourselves all the time, but in a dictatorship, everything is completely different than in a democracy.

I feel good about seeing this movie. To be completely honest, I don’t care what the North Koreans think, I liked the movie, and that is all that matters to me.

I am entering this review in a contest as a school assignment. I hope that people see The Interview after reading this because I thought it was a great movie.

Armadeus_Zoolitzer GOLD, Ratter Corner, Other

"Arose by any other name is still the past tense of arise." Steve Patterson on CBC's The Debators "The devil's greatest trick was chopping the water into separate bathtubs. Then attaching claws to those bathtubs." Bob Schofield's The Inevitable June

An undeniably controversial film that tackles such a touchy subject that I don't think anyone involved in the production of this movie had the awareness and ability to cover justly. I haven't seen the film myself and honestly don't have plans to, but based on the trailer for the film itself as well as what I've heard from others it seems completely one-sided. Who are we to say that living under a dictatorship is all unfair? To quote Joey Tribbiani from "Friends": "just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's wrong". And while Kim Jung-Un has allegedly dubbed this picture as "an act of war", I would say that it's simply nonsensical propaganda at most, an attempt by the comedic team behind this film to pick a fight they aren't equipped for and frankly have no business being a part of. Please keep in mind that that's just my opinion, and this is coming from a guy who hasn't seen the movie. Furthermore I would just like to put out there that I am all for freedom of speech and freedom of expression. But I am also for respect, and the whole premise of this film just seems very distasteful. Then again, that might just be right up Rogen's and Franco's alley, although in all fairness they have put out some rather okay films in the past (I particularly liked Seth in the 2011 comedy-drama 50/50 and James in the 2010 true story of survival that was 127 Hours). In closing, I agree with the comment below my own. This was an okay review. What you could do to improve this would be to talk about the cast more; works they've done in the past (as I just did in the paragraph above); and maybe go a bit more in depth about the controversy surrounding this film. Essentially what I'm asking for is less opinion and more facts. Reviews are tricky like that because there needs to be such precise balance. For the most part you got the opinion part down. Congrats on that. I look forward to seeing more of your writing in the future. Now I'm going to take some time to indulge in some good old-fashioned self-promotion: I recently wrote a review for the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Please look into it. I think it was a pretty well-written review, and I'm giving you full permission to point out my weak points if that's what you'd like to do. Be my guest. ... And thanks for reading.

Thefanatasticagirlie101 SILVER, Euless, Texas

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our mind. That's what I hope to give you forever." ~The Notebook

That was a great review, but it should have more details on the actors, the setting, and how well the movie was executed! Other than the specifics, it was a great review. Read my poems on my profile and rate/comment/tell me how I should improve.