The Interview | Teen Ink

The Interview

January 4, 2015
By zachbern BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
zachbern BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Interview is a hysterical comedy, which has caused debate over whether it should be shown or not.  Many people were interested in seeing this comedy because of the news about North Korea allegedly hacking Sony.  That this movie was going to be banned made more people want to see it to express freedom of speech.


The only reason that I saw this movie in the first place is because I was curious why North Korea wanted it banned so much.  Now I understand why they wanted it banned, because if I were a North Korean citizen, I would want it banned too!  The thing about that is I live here in the U.S. so I thought that it was hilarious! 


The reason that this movie was so funny, in my opinion, was that they made this vicious, cruel dictator seem like a nice and cool guy at first.  Slowly as the movie progresses, you start to see how evil Kim Jong-Un really is.  That is basically the whole movie until the actual interview with Kim.  The journalist played by James Franco is fooled by Kim Jong-Un and all of the luxury that he has, until the journalist sees the fake grocery store that North Korea planted right by Kim’s mansion.


It is very easy for me to see how North Koreans are offended by this movie, and the way it portrays their country.  In the U.S. we make fun of our leaders and ourselves all the time, but in a dictatorship, everything is completely different than in a democracy.


I feel good about seeing this movie. To be completely honest, I don’t care what the North Koreans think, I liked the movie, and that is all that matters to me.


The author's comments:

I am entering this review in a contest as a school assignment. I hope that people see The Interview after reading this because I thought it was a great movie.