Wizard of Oz | Teen Ink

Wizard of Oz

By Monkey_fist BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
Monkey_fist BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware

"Better out than in I always say", Shrek

The Wizard of Oz is an enticing story that will bring the whole family along a magical journey. Nothing has ever been or will be as unique as this classic film. Positive and negative attributes include the rating, special effects and adult viewing.

The Wizard of Oz is a children's fantasy movie released in 1939. After multiple changes, Victor Fleming was named the director. It is based on the book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz written by L. Frank Baum. The producer was Mervyn LeRoy who is also known for directing Little Caesar.       

The story starts of with a wild twister. Dorothy and her dog Toto are caught in its path and end up in the land of Oz. The friendly folks who inhabit the land send her to the wizard. This sorcerer is the only one who can send Dorothy back to Kansas. Others also need assistance from the wizard who Dorothy quickly befriends and takes on the journey.

Despite the G rating, The Wizard of Oz should not be recommended for children under the age of 9. Various scenes may upset small children. For example, throughout the movie Toto is mistreated. The Cairn Terrier is shoved in baskets and yelled at. Multiple death threats are aimed at Dorothy. Also flying monkeys brutally tear apart the friendly talking scarecrow. Adults who watched this movie as children mention having nightmares in their childhood about the witches stage makeup.

Others however will have a fantastic time following Dorothy’s story. Do not avoid watching this classic just because it is black and white. Copies have been produced using color. Also the special effects are ageless. Even though Emerald city is merely drawn on the film, it looks very real and part of the scenery.

Many adults will still enjoy this movie. Well-choreographed dances and musical numbers occur throughout the movie. When Dorothy stumbles upon Oz, a mass of more than 100 Munchkins form a grand welcoming ceremony. So many people dancing in perfect synchronization makes this a memorable scene. As for musicals, Judy Garland sings the famous “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” Having heard this song previously outside the movie, the viewer cannot appreciate it fully. Further, when put into the context of the movie, a whole new layer of meaning is added to the lyrics. To truly savor the song someone would have to watch this film. Also, adults can appreciate the moral of the movie. It teaches that many times what is sought or desired is already possessed. Classics are classics for a reason, watch the Wizard of Oz today.

My Dad told me the wizard of Oz was a classic movie and I was one of very few people never to watch it.