The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

By EmmaV BRONZE, Baxter, Iowa
EmmaV BRONZE, Baxter, Iowa

The Giver directed by Phillip Noyce is a suspenseful movie. The movie takes place in a dystopian community. It is about a boy named Jonas who discovers it’s not so great after all. Overall, I really liked this movie because they changed it a lot from the book and made it a lot more intense and attention grabbing. They made it so that it had a more exciting climax.

One thing I liked about this movie is how they added small changes in the beginning and they turned out to be really important in the ending. They were really small subtle changes that took a lot of thought to come up with. For example instead of Fiona working with the old she ended up working with the new children so that she could help Jonas later on with Gabe.

One thing I disliked about this movie is that the movie ended in a massive cliff hanger. That and the fact that they didn’t show how he gave memories to Gabe to keep him strong near the end like in the book. Or how in the movie they didn’t show how Jonas learned to use his own memories for strength and courage. For example they only showed tiny snippets of their journey and not really enough emotion. They also didn’t show how everyone else reacted to what Jonas accomplished.

Overall, I really liked this movie because it was a lot more exciting and emotional. It gave you a better feeling of realness. It made it feel like they were actually people in this situation. I think it was really good because the changes in the movie had a purpose. They did a great job of making it realistic.