Big Eyes | Teen Ink

Big Eyes

By tayfreeman. GOLD, Chesapeake, Virginia
tayfreeman. GOLD, Chesapeake, Virginia

Years of art spilled out onto a canvas by the bristles of a paint brush could all be stolen in one love-struck second, a nightmare brought to life in Tim Burton’s Big Eyes. This 2014 film follows the story of a starving artist, Margret Keane, born Peggy Doris Hawkins.

Struggling to create a new life for her and her only daughter in the late 1950’s, she moves away from her abusive ex and falls for a charming young painter, Walter Keane. His dedication to support creative dreams lead him to convince a local café to showcase some of her paintings, even if the pictures are subject to the dark corners of the secluded bathroom hallway. Their relationship can only be compared to that of a Nicholas Sparks Novel until he unveils a dark side Margaret could have never seen coming. Her paintings begin to draw the eye of critics but Walter knows a woman could never be taken seriously in the art world. His name secretly starts to appear on the bottom right corner of the big-eyed pictures. When Margaret catches on, she begs with Walter for the credit she deserves; but, as the money rolls in, he goes color blind to every shade but green.

This PG-13 movie is recommended to anyone who can hold a paint brush from the years of high school and up. It features the Golden-Globe Award winning actress, Amy Adams and many other wonderful actors and actresses who are easy to fall in love with. Aspiring painters and the art fanatic alike will certainly feel for Margaret’s struggle to overcome the chains of her controlling husband and her life of lies in Tim Burton’s take on the true story of Margaret Keane.