Back to the Future | Teen Ink

Back to the Future

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

The invention of the future has arrived! Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd) has invented a time machine out of a Delorean. It's taken years of effort, half his fortune, and the...debateable business transaction with a terrorist orginization to attain a nuclear power source for the machine, but no matter! All time is now open to exploration!

But on the night when Dr. Brown is about to test his machine, the terrorists find him and shoot him for swindling them. In a panic, Dr. Brown's young friend Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) jumps into the time machine and drives away into the past, where he encounters many familiar faces, including those of his parents, who are still in highschool. Marty sees this as an opportunity to change the way his own future turns out, and tries inspiring his father (Crispin Glover) to be bolder and intentionally gain the attention of his future mother (Lea Thompson). Unfortunately, the plot backfires, and Marty's mother finds her gutair-playing, skateboarding, bully-punching son much more attractive.

Good points:

This entire story is subtley about overcoming doubt and insecurity, reaching beyond what people expect, and standing up against injustice.

A band playing at a highschool prom save Marty from being beat up.

Before returning to the future, Marty tries to warn Dr. Brown about his impending murder, but Dr. Brown stops him, telling him that no man should know the layout of his own future.

The comedic timing is excellent.

Negative points:

Language is the largest factor in this film. One can hardly go five minutes without hearing some obsenities.

Marty's mother drinks as an adult, and wears a low-cut prom gown and tries to be intimate with her son (not knowing his identity) as a teenager. There are a few shots of upper legs on girls and cleavage. Marty suggests to his girlfriend that if he had a pick-up truck they could lay in the back of it alone some time.

The term 'butt-head' is used repeatedly. A bully drives his car into the back of a loaded manure truck.

As before mentioned, Dr. Brown gets shot. There are a few punches thrown, kicks given, and previously mentioned bully tries to run Marty over in previously mentioned car. There is mention of someone threatening to melt another person's brains.

There is a moment of racist skeptism from a shop-keeper when he hears an African-American employee dreaming about being the mayor.

Result: Funny and thought-provoking, but not for children.

"If you put your mind to something, you can accomplish anything."