Hacksaw Ridge | Teen Ink

Hacksaw Ridge

By orangeaj BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
orangeaj BRONZE, Midland, Michigan

On the way to the movies I was thinking about World War II and all the battles and fighting that had to do with it. The expectations of the movie for me was for it to be like any other war movie where the main character fights, kills and sees friends die. It was nothing like that at all. Hacksaw Ridge was directed by Mel Gibson, who is known for war movies and action. Yet, his movie had a different type of action. Instead of a hero killing a bunch of people, it was based on a hero saving a bunch of people. Desmond Doss (played by?) was man of God, who took the faith he had in himself onto the battlefield. For its themes, its triumphant characterization, and it overall message, Hacksaw Ridge is a must-see movie for any war fanatic or World War II fan.

Hacksaw Ridge showed really good morales throughout the film. In the film Hacksaw Ridge, Desmond Doss wouldn’t use a gun on the battlefield no matter what the circumstances were. He used his bare hands and ran between crossfire to save people. Also even when he knew people were going to die, he did not care; if he could somehow manage to get that person back behind fire, he would. During the movie he even helped out an enemy Japanese soldier who was about to die. He was a man of God and strong beliefs. He had many morals that contradicted with war. He would not hold a gun, fire a gun or even kill another man. He stuck with his moral,s which made the movie that much better.

The movie Hacksaw Ridge was inspiring and heartfelt. Desmond Doss stayed the whole night on the ridge in behind enemy lines, saving men and using a pully system to lower them off the ridge. He saved so many people that night that rope gave him rope burn on his palms, and he had to rip his shirt up to cover where the burns were so that he could keep going back and saving injured American soldiers. “Please God, give me one more” Desmond Doss kept saying, as he retreated back into enemy territory saving over 70 Americans. He had all of his trust in God and used that to help him save over 70 soldiers. He even inspired the other soldiers by the way the injured ones kept coming down the hill. They thought it was some type of angel doing that, but in reality it was just Desmond Doss, the man who fought without being armed.

The movie Hacksaw Ridge really changed my perspective on war. It’s not always about how many people you killed or how many battles you won; it’s about the courage it takes every man to go out of their way to serve their country and fight for what they believe in even if they don’t use a gun. Hacksaw Ridge should be seen by most people, because it’s more than just about war.

Its about a world war II movie