The Ghost in the Shell | Teen Ink

The Ghost in the Shell

January 24, 2017
By J-A-C-K BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
J-A-C-K BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Ghost in The Shell(1995) is an animation marvel and highly regarded as one of the best animations of our time. The year is 2029. The world has become intensively information-oriented, and humans are well-connected to the network. Crime has developed into a sophisticated stage by hacking into the interactive network. To prevent this, Section 9 is formed. Made up of cyborgs with incredible strengths and abilities, these creatures? can access any network on Earth. A cyborg policewoman,Kusanagi, and her partner,Bato, hunt a mysterious and powerful hacker called the Puppet Master. And that's just the plot,; interested yet?

The animation in this movie is astounding. There is a scene in the movie around the thirty minute mark that lasts about three minutes and twenty seconds long. This scene has no dialogue, but it is set to an almost traditional, Japanese-style music with an ominous, sci-fi feel. The visuals are stunning, and the frame by frame cell animation is crisp and flows well as it shows you around the city life. Sometimes it peers  into Kusanagi’s life, showing us that life moves no matter whose perspective you look at.

The score of this animation was spot on. The music matched every scene’s emotion and projected those emotions perfectly. This is thanks to Kenji Kawai, a Japanese music composer for motion pictures, anime movies, video games and television shows. He has contributed to the musical scores for numerous films from Japan and other countries in Asia, working in film genres as diverse as anime, horror, sci-fi and historical epic. This just builds on to the epic that is Ghost in The Shell.

Other major factors to Ghost in The Shells’ success  are all the complex themes the film possesses. This movie goes deep, examining topics from ontology and dualism, to gender roles and evolution. This makes Ghost in the Shell very appealing for film critics to analyze as well as inspiration for creators.

This sci-fi, cyberpunk, action animation film is just plain good, and whether you like animation or not, this movie is worth watching just for the concepts alone. All the other movies that have come from this one such as James Cameron's Avatar, Steven Spielberg's AI: Artificial Intelligence, and The Matrix, just to name a few, shows just how powerful this film is. This movie deserves a good rating:7 out of 10 futuristic cyborgs.