El Norte | Teen Ink

El Norte

By Kyleah0906 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Kyleah0906 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"your not uGLy society is" -unkown

You are alone. Your whole family is gone except you and your sibling. You will never be accepted anywhere. What’s your way out? Is there even a way out?

El Norte has received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay in 1985. The first American film to be so honored.

El Norte it digs deep to the roots of immigration. Really unveiling that immigrants will never really be accepted in the anywhere.

While fearing for their life in their own country, Rosa and Enrique start their voyage to the United States hoping for a better life. While on their voyage Rosa and Enrique cross paths with some stomach churning rats provoking Rosa to catch a deadly disease.

During the final part of the film Rosa and Enrique discover the hardships of living in the US, without final documentation. What happens next is mystery to you only. Get pulled into the critics acclaimed film

El Norte.

In our own land, we have no home. They want to kill us. ... In Mexico, there is only poverty. We can't make a home there either. And here in the north, we aren't accepted. When will we find a home, Enrique? Maybe when we die, we'll find a home.

The sad truth about Immigration