Trench | Teen Ink

Trench

By StrangePerson BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota
StrangePerson BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota

On July 9th of 2018, Twenty One Pilots did something that surprised many people, they posted on social media for the first time in months. For that year, they had been on hiatus, inactive to just about everything, not hearing anything from them for about a year. They had posted a video on instagram, a very confusing video to most, then they put up an identical video the next day. A few weeks after that they posted two songs on youtube: Jumpsuit, and Nico and the Niners.

The album in itself has 14 tracks. Now the main question asked when it comes to a new album is ‘Are the songs good?’ To find the answer you have to listen to it on your own to know, but if you like music with bass guitar, drumming, rap, or lyrical meaning, then I think you would find a liking to this album. Then there are the deep meanings to the songs, they tell a story through their music. Some the story of living through anxiety, and some the story of escaping the city known as Dema.

Dema is a place that many people are trying to escape, those who try escaping are called banditos (also a song in this album). They try escaping because of Nicolas Bourbaki, referenced in their song morph, who leads his bishops to stop other banditos from leaving the city. Nicolas or more commonly referred to as Nico, has been confused with being the characterized version of blurryface, the album before trench. This, however, is not the case, yes Nico and blurryface help represent some of the same things, but Nico brings the worst part of blurryface out. He keeps people trapped by their own anxieties. That’s why the banditos are trying to escape. One of the main ‘characters’ was Clancy, the creator, or leader of the banditos. This character was created by Tyler Joseph.

Tyler Joseph is the lead singer to the two-man band, the other being Josh Dun, the drummer. They used to have other members: Nick Thomas and Chris Salih, who left in 2011 do pursue other carriers.