Saturn Reviewed by Bree Lovell | Teen Ink

Saturn Reviewed by Bree Lovell

November 18, 2019
By breelovell BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
breelovell BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“It’s about letting go of what doesn’t serve you/You know, letting go of relationships, jobs, any past regrets.” These are lyrics from “When Saturn Returns (Interlude),” a spoken word song on Saturn, Nao’s most recent album. The R&B album discovers “personal growth, romantic upheaval, and the trials of young adulthood,” as quoted from the article by Pitchfork, through the repeating symbol in the album, Saturn, or more specifically the Saturn Return. The album takes listeners on a journey with beautiful vocals, calming melodies and heartfelt lyrics. 

Saturn, Nao’s second studio album, was released on October 26, 2018, following its lead single “Make It Out Alive.” Nao, nominated for two awards including Best Newcomer at the MOBO Awards, is an English R&B singer-songwriter. The former member of the all-girl a-capella The Boxettes portrays the hurt of heartbreak and the “regenerative bliss” after through the Saturn Return, when the planet Saturn meets the same spot it was at your birth. This is the inspiration for the theme of the album, rebirth and maturation, while reflecting on the past as well. Ranking number two in the UK R&B albums, the album features artists Kwabs and SIR, who offer a beautiful deep voice in contrast to Nao’s high pitched singing. 

Nao speaks to her teenage audience in an interview with Bazaar “‘... you’re going to go through changes because that’s the part of your life when you start to decide on the direction of what you’re doing.’” Nao conveys this message through “Another Lifetime,” “Saturn,” and “Orbit.” Through slow instrumentals and soulful voices, listeners can feel the emotions through Nao’s lyrics. With lyrics such as “‘Cause there I will stay, my darling/I swear I won’t run from you” from “Another Lifetime,” Nao conveys the emotional residue from the relationship. She does the same in “Saturn,” singing about her hopes of her ex coming back to find her, and in “Orbit” where she reminisces about a love she once had and how she still has feelings for him. 

However, the album goes into a more positive and upbeat stance in the second half, bringing the story full circle by hinting at newfound love. For example, she sings about making it to a utopia in “Love Supreme” and running away to a beautiful paradise in “Yellow of the Sun.” Nao conveys these happy thoughts with high tempo songs and positive lyrics. In “Gabriel,” Nao sings, “I really get a rush from you/And I try to hide my crush from you,” easing listeners towards the idea that she has gotten over her ex and is already moving on to someone new. 

Saturn tells listeners a story of heartbreak and rejuvenation through passionate voices, emotional lyrics, and mournful instrumentals. The album portrays maturation with the Saturn Return, but with one listen you’ll realize it’s much more than that. Whether you’re going through a heartbreak yourself, or you just want to settle down after a long day, Saturn is able to journey with you through both. You’ll be able to release yourself “into orbit” while listening to the musical expedition through love and growth in Saturn.