Donda Review | Teen Ink

Donda Review MAG

November 3, 2021
By bfischer24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
bfischer24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kanye West is truly a marketing genius. He managed to release an album over a year after its original release date and still sell 309,000 first-week copies. He held three listening parties, the first two at Mercedes-Benz Stadium and the other at Soldier Field. Each of these listening parties saw a different version of his new album “Donda,” named after his late mother, Donda West. These listening parties are what helped give “Donda” massive hype and expectations. The first listening party, on July 22, featured Kanye standing in the middle of the stadium and was attended by thousands of spectators, including high-profile celebrities. In the second one, Kanye dressed up in a spiky jacket and was lifted up into the sky at the end. At the third, and arguably the most entertaining listening party, Kanye rebuilt his childhood home and lit himself on fire for dramatic effect. After all of this commotion, Kanye West finally released “Donda” on Aug. 29, 2021.


The album starts with the track “Donda Chant.” At first listen, it sounds eerie, but the true meaning of the track will blow your mind. The song repeats the name “Donda” 58 times, which is the age at which Kanye’s mother died. The speed of the chants in the song is also the pace of Donda West’s last heartbeats. While this song starts off the album with a sad tone, the whole album is filled with emotions that have me hooked with every listen.


“Donda Chant” is followed by more intense songs, including “Jail,” “Off the Grid,” “Praise God,” and “Junya.” These songs have features from many popular rappers, including Jay-Z, Playboi Carti, Fivio Foreign, Travis Scott, and Baby Keem. These songs give “Donda” a very strong start. Kanye, who has recently been promoting his relationship with God and Christianity, decided to edit out all the explicit lyrics on the whole album. This decision makes “Donda” a more “family-friendly” album. 


“Remote Control” and “Moon” bring a laid-back and melodic feel to this album. In the chorus of “Remote Control,” Kanye repeats the line “Got it on remote control.” Kanye is boasting about the “control” he has over his career and life. “Moon” features artists Don Toliver and Kid Cudi. “Moon” was one of the most anticipated songs on the album, and it did not disappoint. The vocals from Toliver give the song a spiritual feel that makes the listener want to close their eyes and imagine themselves on the “Moon.” 


“Heaven and Hell” symbolizes the middle of “Donda.” With a captivating beat switch, the second half of “Donda” is more religious and symbolic compared to the upbeat and catchy first half. With songs such as “Keep My Spirit Alive,” “Jesus Lord,” “Lord I Need You,” and “No Child Left Behind,” Kanye expresses his relationship with God and his newfound devotion to Christianity. To some fans, it feels like Kanye is shoving God and Christianity in their face. To others, it shows that an artist can still make mainstream music while appreciating their religion. 


Donda ends with “Jail pt 2,” “Ok Ok pt 2,” “Junya pt 2,” and “Jesus Lord pt 2.” These tracks feel unnecessary and make the album longer than it should be. The original ending, ‘No Child Left Behind,” was a perfect song to finish off the experience of “Donda.” Kanye may have added these “pt 2” tracks to make a statement to his producers, with whom he had many conflicts during the making of this album. 


Overall, “Donda” is an amazing album with many strong points and a few weak points. This album has songs for almost anyone. If you’re looking for a song to get you hyped before a game or workout, you could play “Off the Grid” or “Praise God.” If you’re looking for a religious song, you could play “Jesus Lord,” or “Lord I Need You.” This variety on “Donda” is what makes it an album that you will not stop listening to.


The author's comments:

Donda is one of my favorite albums.