The Bitter truth: Evanescence's Fifth Album | Teen Ink

The Bitter truth: Evanescence's Fifth Album

January 19, 2022
By CathrynWrites SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
CathrynWrites SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
To live would be an awfully big adventure.


"I can't move on, Feels like we're frozen in time, I'm wasted on you, Just pass me the bitter truth." 

The Bitter Truth is an amazing record. Filled with emotion, the songs capture not just Amy Lee's feelings overflowing into her music, but every listener's feelings along with it. "Wasted on You" describes how we feel when we are let down by someone, and how we long for their presence. "Broken Pieces Shine" tells us that what our flaws can also be, according to Lee, "our superpowers. That’s what makes us different. That’s what makes us unique". "The Game Is Over" tears open our facade. We're not perfect people  - none of us, not even one. And that's what this song says. And "Far From Heaven"? Perhaps the strongest and most raw track on this album, Amy Lee pours out all her doubts and fears toward God. This album is a salve for anyone who is suffering, no matter what the cause. This record is one of Evanescence's best albums yet. 


The author's comments:

I grew up on Evanescence, so I'm only slightly biased towards this band. But I have gone through a lot of problems over the past two years, and not a week would go by that this album wasn't on repeat in my room. Even if you're not a hard rock fan, I recommend you check out some of their other works. They are truly an amazing band. :)