Safe Haven Album review | Teen Ink

Safe Haven Album review

February 24, 2022
By Shu_FC_Wolf BRONZE, Cannonfalls, Minnesota
Shu_FC_Wolf BRONZE, Cannonfalls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In my opinion, music is a very important thing; an escape from reality where I can express how I feel without the stress of wondering if I’m annoying someone or fear of being judged by anyone. It's like self-therapy. One of my experiences that made me realize this was with a guy I had feelings for, long story short we couldn't be together because of our situations at the time; However, rather than turning to unhealthy methods of coping I vented to music. And as silly and depressing it sounds, having a good long cry to music that relates to my situation can really help. One of the albums that helped me with this was “Safe Haven” by Ruth B. Speaking from my own experiences with what this helped me get over, I would have to say this album is absolutely amazing. Her voice is so beautiful and soothing. And I could really relate to a lot of her songs. The main three songs that helped me from this album were “If This Is Love,” “Superficial Love” and “Dandelions.”.


“If This Is Love,” I like this song because of what it's saying; However, I don't like the lyrics. The song by itself is ok. But the message it brings, The conversation hidden beneath the words is why I like this song. \“If this is love Why does it break me down? Why do you break me down?” These lyrics to me are like the gateway to what the song means aside from the title. It's almost as if she's asking for reassurance in the song. She's communicating with someone, I’m assuming a lover or ex-lover and I can relate and understand; because, I've thought these exact things at one point or another. It’s a simple way to convey a real feeling. A lot of my favorite lyrics from this song are the more flat-out conversational ones. Mainly because I can relate the most with them, I almost feel like I'm having this conversation with someone. 


“Superficial Love,” This song has to be one of my favorites because like the last one it has a strong message and is telling a story. This song is honestly very enchanting. The first time I listened to this song I actually listened and paid attention to the lyrics and I normally don't do that; This song was so empowering for me and made me feel like I shouldn't let fake things into my life and not just when it comes to love. Self-love and value is very important thing and this song makes me want to achieve that for myself. And these lyrics really show that “Baby if you want me, then you better need me/ 'Cause I'm so done, /not being your number one. /And if you wanna keep me, then you better treat me Like a damn princess, /make that an empress /'Cause I'm so done, not being your number one”  These words are a big point in themselves simply because there are so many issues with people in general just having people around when it's convenient for them. But it's also saying it in a way that gives them the opportunity to change. Which is what makes this song the whole thing is basically saying hey this needs to change or I'm done. 


“Dandelions,” This song is by far my favorite out of this album. It describes my situation metaphorically perfectly, and lots of other situations because it's so common for a lot of people ”...I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine '/Cause I'm in a field of dandelions. /Wishing on everyone that you'll be mine… “ The lyrics in this song are honestly so heart touching, I sincerely can get in my feelings with this song mainly because at the time it helped me cope with the situation I was in. I love how the lyrics are because it's set up in a way that I can visualize the field of dandelions, And I can see the pain and the beauty inside of that pain. Heartbreak really is a life-changing thing no matter your age. And a lot of the time people wish it worked out differently and that was how I felt. This song helped me through that. 


Overall these songs are good coping songs, but they are good songs without all the drama as well. “If This is Love”, “Superficial Love”, and “Dandelions” are honestly always gonna be songs I like even when I'm not obsessing over them. They are one of those songs that just make me have so much self-love and reflect on my relationships. For example, the stuff that was going on with my “guy friend”; stuff just gets complicated and music is a good way to cope and vent things I can't talk about because it's like the music is doing it for me. When it all comes down to it the way music can express how you feel can really make you realize what your true feelings are.   


The author's comments:

Helped me through tough times. Hope they help you too!