A Musical Masterpiece: Twin Fantasy | Teen Ink

A Musical Masterpiece: Twin Fantasy

October 3, 2022
By CloTeo BRONZE, Wallingford, Connecticut
CloTeo BRONZE, Wallingford, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Twin Fantasy is an album originally recorded and released by indie-rock band Car Seat Headrest in 2011. This piece was the band’s first official album and would quickly become their most influential. The album was rerecorded and rereleased in 2018 with a higher production quality and extra content added to some of the songs. The 2011 version is known as Twin Fantasy (Mirror to Mirror) while the 2018 version is known as Twin Fantasy (Face to Face). The 2011 release will primarily be covered, but it’s important to note the 2018 version, which is sometimes known as the most official release of the album, as it sounds much more refined, has a higher quality, and is nicer around the edges. The original is harsher, rougher, and captures a more raw and personal emotion. The experiences and themes present throughout the album will be discussed in-depth. Lead-singer and songwriter Will Toledo portrays many deep and important themes across the 61 minute album. Twin Fantasy follows the relationship of Will Toledo and his boyfriend and the breakup that occurs between them. Twin Fantasy portrays themes of breakup, death, codependency, love, fear, and sexual confusion through the lens of 17-year-old Will Toledo. Twin Fantasy comes as a perfect explanation of a teenager experiencing anxiety, love, substance abuse, and heartbreak all at once while struggling to deal with the stress of mental illness.

The topic of love is one that bridges across every single song on this album. The idea of love is vague, but upon diving a little deeper, the concept of toxic relationships becomes clear throughout the album. The first song on the album is My Boy – Twin Fantasy. This introduction to the album beautifully sets the scene of a teenage Will Toledo in love with his boyfriend in a long distance relationship. There is a sense of hope and happiness in this song, with lyrics such as “My boy, we don’t see each other much.” and, “It’ll take some time. But somewhere down the line. We won’t be alone.” This song sets the stage for the album; a young teenage love. But yet this song is contrasted by lyrics of loneliness and depression later in the album. Despite the hope portrayed in the first track, cracks in the relationship show as early as a couple songs in. In Sober to Death, Will Toledo describes both him and his partner as emotionally unstable teenagers, going so far as saying “We were wrecks before we crashed into each other.” This lyric perfectly encapsulates the idea that misery loves company. Toledo mentions how “Every conversation just ends with you screaming. Not even words…” Will sees his partner as something more than he really is. Will is in love with the version of his partner that he sees in his head, not his actual partner. Hence the album title, Twin Fantasy.

A major theme in Twin Fantasy is that of anxiety and fear. The entire album’s rough production and loud, chaotic atmosphere creates a feeling of anxiety in the listener on more than one occasion, especially on the first listen. This sense of anxiety goes much deeper than just the sound. The lyrics in the album very clearly show Toledo’s sense of anxiety both for himself and his love interest. In the song Bodys he has a very chilling lyric where he admits he is terrified of his partner's death. Toledo says “Don’t you realize our bodies could fall apart at any second? I am terrified your body could fall apart at any second.” A personal interpretation of this lyric upon first listen was that both Toledo and his partner were engaging in self-destructive behaviors, such as substance abuse. But this lyric can also be seen as him referring to being scared of dying. This concept of being afraid of death and being afraid of life itself is explored in depth in the album. We can also infer that Toledo is becoming codependent on his boyfriend and that he is terrified of him not loving him back in the same way. We can infer this through the song Cute Thing. In this song, Toledo is paranoid that he is coming on too strongly to his partner or is off-putting to his partner. He apologizes for being too romantic at the beginning of the song but as the song progresses, his lyrics become more and more sexual, before singing the lyric “I am loved. I would sleep naked next to you naked.” This juxtapositioned with the lyrics of “I got so f*cking romantic, I apologize. Let me light your cigarette.” shows that Toledo is anxious about how his partner feels about him, but at the same time he is lovestruck and can’t keep his feelings of love to himself. He is stuck between being madly-in-love and being afraid to show his emotions. 

Another crucial theme of the album is that of substance abuse. This theme is discussed on many of Car Seat Headrest’s albums, but this album exclusively talks about substance abuse in Toledo’s teenage life. Even the song titles on this album are references to drug use. Including Sober to Death and High to Death. High to Death is possibly the darkest song on the album. The song describes Will Toledo going through a bad drug trip while experiencing fear that he is going to die. With lyrics such as ¨I wish I was sober. I can’t get off the ground.” and “Keep smoking, I love you. But I don’t wanna die.” This is almost a direct contrast to the song Stop Smoking, where Toledo pleads to his love interest to quit smoking. But at this point in the album he has accepted he cannot make his boyfriend quit. One of the most distressing lyrics on the whole album comes from High to Death, which are, “And I sat there on the steps. Considering death. There were only seconds left of the night.” This depressing lyric is one of the many references to death, depression, and suicidal ideation seen throughout this album. This also paints a picture of loneliness– The idea that he is all alone, sitting on the steps of his apartment, contemplating his life while going through a bad high is painful to think about. There is a sense of pointlessness running through the entire album and it creates a depressing atmosphere. This leads to the longest song of the album, Beach Life-in-Death, a 13 minute song that describes Will Toledo going into a spiral while thinking about all the time he spent with his ex-boyfriend. He starts to think about every time he makes a mistake and talks about how his life feels pointless without him. With the lines “I am running out of drugs to try.” and “I am almost completely soulless. I am incapable of being human.” Point to the fact that Will is hitting rock bottom. He is at the lowest point in his life and doesn’t have any sense of hope for his future. This song also discusses Will Toledo’s sexuality and how the struggles he faces with accepting himself. With lyrics such as “I pretended I was drunk when I came out to my friends. I never came out to my friends.'' We as the listener are brought to the idea that he is afraid to show who he is, once again enforcing the theme of fear in Twin Fantasy. Will’s sexuality is not a theme discussed much outside this song, but it clearly paints the picture of Will Toledo, a closeted, scared teenager who is hooked on drugs just to escape the stress that he faces with his sexuality, his relationship, and college. 

Heartbreak is the final major theme of Twin Fantasy, and no song greater encapsulates this than the penultimate song, Famous Prophets. This song is a 10 minute treasure of writing where Will Toledo tries to talk about his ex-boyfriend after breaking up with him. This song has a mix of anger and sadness blended into each other, directly juxtaposing his lines from earlier in the album. With the first verse of the song being as follows. “Apologies to future me and you. But I can't help feeling like we're through. The ripping of the tape hurts my ears. In my years, I have never seen anyone quit quite like you do” This quote may be the single most important lyric of the album, as it describes the true feelings of Will Toledo. He is hurt, we know this. But he is beginning to move on. He feels betrayed and most importantly he feels like he lost something and apologizes to his future self for it. Will is also afraid of what lies ahead of him. “Did I waste my time? Waste my time on a broken heart? Or is this the start of the great silence? Is this the start of every day?” Will is afraid of becoming a mess of a person and is once again paranoid from love. Toledo has fully become codependent and is now scared to be alone. But through this song, we see Toledo beginning to accept his breakup. With the first lyrics of the song Toledo says that he knows his relationship is over. With the lyric “Did I waste my time? Waste my time on a broken heart?” Toledo finally admits that he was in love with a fantasy of his boyfriend. The idea of acceptance is one that finally shines through at the end of the album, being seen in the final song, Twin Fantasy (Those Boys) where the lyric “I haven't looked at the sun for so long. I'd forgotten how much it hurts to.” is repeated throughout the song. An interpretation of this lyric is that this is a metaphor for Will looking back on his relationship. How it hurts to reminisce, but still being able to move forward. When we compare this to the Beach Life-in-Death at the start of the album, we can see that Will is moving forward with his life and is getting over his breakup. A hint of a happy ending at the end of a whirlwind of depressing lyrics.

Twin Fantasy shows love in its darkest and most painful moments. For that I think this album uniquely and beautifully encapsulates something that no other album has. Twin Fantasy has become one of the most influential pieces of music in indie-rock and in underground music in general. The 2018 release of this album is seen as Car Seat Headrest’s magnum opus and one of the albums of the year. Over ten years after its original release, it is still being hailed as one of the best of its genre, and ten years from now it will continue to be seen as a musical masterpiece.


The author's comments:

Hello! I am Dechlan Teodosio, a 16 year old LGBTQ+ writer who writes poetry and articles primarily about music. This piece is an essay on my favorite album, Twin Fantasy, and the themes portrayed throughout it. This essay contains sensitive topics, such as substance abuse, depression,and anxiety.