Her Loss by Drake and 21 Savage | Teen Ink

Her Loss by Drake and 21 Savage

November 30, 2022
By 24wr SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
24wr SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When Drake and 21 Savage released the title for the album Her Loss most fans, including myself, thought this meant the album was going to be another one of Drake's “loverboy” albums, but it was a good collaboration of all of Drake's work and that. While listening to Her Loss, by Drake and 21 Savage, I was able to hear a plethora of different flows and beats that can show how versatile both of these rappers are. 

This album is the result of a relationship between 21 Savage and Drake that most people have been waiting for. We were able to see how well these two collaborate together when Drake released “Sneakin” a week after 21 Savage's birthday in 2016, their first song together. This song was a hit and it peaked at #28 on the billboards top 100 showing that when it was released it was very popular. Their most recent song together before the album is what most people think inspired the new album. This song was “Jimmy Cooks” from another one of Drake's albums Honestly, Nevermind. “Jimmy Cooks” peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Because “Jimmy Cooks” was the most memorable song on the album 21 Savage and Drake knew their duo could be very successful, and they were able to prove it on the new album.  

If you enjoy Drake's softer side, like the music you hear by him on the radio, this album is not for you. Don’t get me wrong he has a song or two that he does slow down a little bit but for the most part most of the songs are a faster tempo and more aggressive, more like 21 Savage’s style, but also 21 Savage does show a softer side on his song 3AM on Glenwood which is not at all what most people expected from him on this album. I like hearing this side of 21 Savage because it shows how he is more of a versatile rapper and he doesn’t have the same flow on every song.

In the album there are sixteen songs, four of them are songs with only Drake, one of them has only 21 Savage, and the rest are a combination of the two. This does make me a little agitated because I am not sure why they would have solos on a collaborative album. If they wanted to make these songs they could’ve released them as singles, or they could’ve put them on a different album and released them another time. Overall, it seems that the songs they work together on are better.