Runnin-N-Gunnin by Tommy Wright III | Teen Ink

Runnin-N-Gunnin by Tommy Wright III

January 26, 2023
By BluesCluesLover1 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
BluesCluesLover1 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The album “Runnin-N-Gunnin” by Tommy Wright III was released in 1995 and it was released by street smart records. This album features fast paced rap, brutal lyrics and unique beats that are loved by many. 

Tommy Wright III is an underground rapper from Memphis Tennessee and began his rapping career in the early 90s. He moved from south Memphis to Whitehaven as a child after his mother witnessed the murder of his aunt. Tommy Wright began writing lyrics to let out his anger and frustration, and you can see this in the lyrics of his songs which mention murder, drugs, and gun possessions in 1993, Tommy put together his own rap group called Ten wanted Men. Tommy’s very first single was produced by Blackheaven’s (another Memphis rap group) own DJ Paul. Tommy eventually got signed with Street smart records in 1994 and a year later in 1995 they released one of his most famous albums called “Runnin-N-Gunnin ''. You should listen to this album if you’re into hip-hop or if you wanna listen to a new type of music but you don’t wanna change genres dramatically, Underground Memphis rap is a sub genre that can be enjoyed if you listen to regular hip hop. Tommy’s name in underground memphis rap is really recognizable due to the fact that he is the head of many memphis groups and this album would be a good place to start if you wanna start listening to his music. 

My personal favorite song from this album is his famous song that is named after the album, “Runnin-n-gunnin” one of the main reasons is because of the catchy beat that it has in the back. This song gave us a look on what type of life Tommy was involved in and it shows on why Tommy was accused by many to be part of gangs, although Tommy has denied these accusations many still believe that he could still possibly be involved due to the lyrics of most of his songs .  


The author's comments:

if you're into Hip-Hop, listen to this guy!