Travis Scott's UTOPIA | Teen Ink

Travis Scott's UTOPIA

By cadence_day BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
cadence_day BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

One’s “utopia” is perceived to be an ideal place of perfection in their eyes, but not another’s. A utopia cannot exist, but only in your mind, you can have such satisfaction with something that you can value it as a utopia. Travis Scott shows this in his latest album, UTOPIA

Five years after dropping his third, highly acclaimed studio album, ASTROWORLD; Houston-born rapper Travis Scott released his most recent studio album, UTOPIA, with a tracklist of 19 songs being over an hour long. 

Travis Scott starts the album with the song “HYAENA” in his regular and complex life. “The situation we are in… neither a good one nor is it so unblessed. It can change…” This means that at this time Travis is not in a utopia, but this can change once he finds where his utopia is. One’s utopia is a fantasized place of pleasure, a place where people enjoy. This follows the theme of a utopia. 

The plot and the storyline this album produces, plus the theme of a utopia are consistent in the album. For example, Later in the album, Drake, at the end of “SIRENS” is talking to a girl saying he will take her to Utopia, however, the girl does not see this as a utopia. “I thought we were going to Utopia?” “What makes you say this isn’t Utopia?” Drake says back. “Isn’t it supposed to be some perfect destination?” “It looks perfect to me.” From this snippet, we can understand that Utopia is a subjective and personal experience, my utopia may be different than your utopia. Bringing meaning into an album that holds a plot can bring in attraction from more and more people looking for quality music. What Travis Scott did to this album, is what wins Grammys, hence being selected as the Grammy Rap Album of the Year nominee. 

We can see Travis fall for false utopias in the billboard advertisements. Some examples are, “Can you find utopia at the bank? A liquor store?” These places are deceiving as you may think you can find happiness there, but you probably will not. 

Travis then finds his utopia in “TELEKINESIS”, “I can’t wait to live in glory in eternal lasting life.”

Finally, the album ends with “TIL FURTHER NOTICE” asking what will happen after you find your utopia. “Where will you go now, now that you’re done with me.” Utopia is personified in these lyrics. 

The theme of a utopia is not the only fantastic thing about the album, but the surprising and highly anticipated features ranging from Drake, Playboi Carti, 21 Savage, The Weeknd, Westside Gunn, SZA, and more were a game changer for many as many look forward to their other favorite artists on a mainstream album. 

Drake was featured on “MELTDOWN”. Features of Playboi Carti and Sheck Wes on “FE!N” was a widely appreciated collaboration between these artists. Even features from Teezo Touchdown, an underground artist in hip-hop and punk is seen featured o UTOPIA'S “MODERN JAM” then For All The Dogs by Drake. These features provide variety in voice, tone, and more in an album, it is an essential piece to creating an album, especially being highly a mainstream artist. 

The main production and influence of the album from the man himself, Kanye (Ye) West, maybe one of the most influential producers and artists in the game right now. The production of Kanye is a truly special key to any album itself–Kanye is known worldwide for his beats, lyrics, and production skills–even with the recent controversy. In possession of 24 grammies, Kanye’s influence is a great deal to any artist who is lucky to get in contact with him as we see his record-breaking stats and influence on other artists. 

Other than the features and production, this album has achieved a substantial amount of records and fame. Some people look for the aspect or feature of this fame for the simple fact that if other people like it, they most likely will as well. The album moved a total of 1,085,000 album-equivalent units in its first five weeks in the US. This generally means people who listen to mainstream songs will enjoy this album.

These traits and characteristics of the album in the features, awards, production, and more create an overall quality album that makes the album a blessing to one’s ears, Like you are hearing tones that will never be played again. Ignoring all the attention UTOPIA has gotten, the album is well-rounded and has the highest production quality out there currently, with amazing voice combined with the plot–for me this is what I am looking for in an album, UTOPIA is a cogent 9.5 out of 10. 

Travis Scott has been a big music influence in my life - I've listened to his songs for the longest time and still enjoy his songs and production to this day. The release of a new album after a very long 5 years was demanding. I was very excited to write this piece and share my thoughts and connect with others on a common interest, I also hope others enjoy reading what I have to say; maybe even provide information.