The Great Chaos | Teen Ink

The Great Chaos

By 5kisting BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin
5kisting BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin

The album A Great Chaos is Ken Carson’s 3rd studio album debuting October 13th, 2023,. 

Before going into this album, my view of Ken Carson's music was negative based on his previous work like his EP Teen X, and his debut album Project X, which are okay compared to other artists' work like Whole Lotta Red by Playboi Carti and No Stylist by Destroy Lonley. But Ken Carson has a loyal fanbase that promotes his work—which caught my attention. 

the first track “Green Room” starts off with a typical electronic rage sound followed by Ken Carson's signature flow. As the song progresses Ken delivers lines like, “I know you don't love me”, and “I get depressed, but I know there's nobody that feel how I feel”, which goes against the more upbeat synth in the background. This song is a great example of what theme Ken is trying to show, how he feels like a “great chaos” and that nobody knows how he feels. 

“Green Room” fades into the next track “Jennifer’s Body”, a highly anticipated track after Ken Carson teased snippets of the song. a strong rage beat hits you and then pauses every few seconds as part of Ken Carson's signature style. Unlike “Green Room”, the lyrics in “Jennifer’s Body” are less depressing, “Gave you the whole book on how to get rich and you ain't even read it”, which gives off more of an unforgiving tone that contrasts the first song. Even though this song was popular before the album was released, it still makes you feel the same as when you first heard it—which is difficult to achieve. 

“Fighting My Demons” blasts you with sound. This song gives off a powerful emotion. Lyrics like “Cut off the lights, we gon’ pull up creepin’”, “My trigger finger itchin’”, and “I feel like D-Wade with the Heat” give off a violent vibe. This song leaves you feeling more hyper and enraged. Overall this song is easily one of the best on the album especially compared to songs like “Loose It”.

After a sudden cut, we are introduced to the next track “Singapore” which features another artist from Ken Carson’s record label, Destroy Lonley. The background of this song is an electronic, robotic beat, as Ken Carson sings in a different flow from his previous songs. Ken's tone is nonchalant as he is singing in a deeper, more monotone sound. This tone however is much opposite to what he is singing about as lyrics like “When you talk to me, you talking the money cause” I'm a walking ATM” convey a prideful, bragging message that he is wealthy and doesn't worry about spending money on luxury items. This song is great with all its elements and the feature ties the song together.

the beat from “Singapore” discontinues as the next song “Lose It” begins. Much like “Fighting My Demons”, the beat of this song is aggressive as Ken explains how he is about to “lose it” due to everything going on. This song at this point in the album isnt on the same level as songs like “Jennifers Body”, and “Fighting my Demons”, and it feels repetitive. 

After “Lose It stops”, “Hardcore” begins with the lyric “Hardcore, Im goin’ gore” repeated multiple times. Although I am not a fan of the repetitive type of rap, it does feel like it fits in as part of the song as it is about how hardcore Ken tries to tell us his life actually is. The overall beat of this song is fairly basic and paired with the lyrics this makes this song on the worse side of the album. 

But “Me N My Kup” is arguably one of the best on the album. The song begins with a classic chaotic electronic beat with Ken Carson's iconic flow. The lyrics of this song perfectly convey Ken Carson’s feeling of being self-centered “We don't give a **** how you feel”, and “We don't give a **** who you is”. Although this isnt something to be proud of, it shows Ken Carson’s conflicted emotions which perfectly add to his “Great Chaos”. 

Its Over perfectly follows the tone of “Me N My Kup” with its lyricism and pace. With rapid bass in the background, the song makes you feel empowered and joyful. Lyrics like “We bluntin’, we havin’ fun, yeah” embody the emotion of having fun without a care of the world. Summed up, this song is short which l doesn't do it justice but it does get off a lot of what Ken Carson wanted to show.

Next, we have one of Ken Carson's best songs in his discography. “Succubus” arguably has the best production on this album. The beat and lyrics flow together almost perfectly. “She said, ‘Boy, don't start with me,’ but I already started” summarizes how Ken Carson thinks that women leech off him for his fame and money. 

In all, this album is a contender for rap album of the year in my opinion. Although its production isnt necessarily on the same level as Travis Scott’s UTOPIA I do feel that A Great Chaos is more of an album that you can listen to multiple times.

It is my honest opinion of the album and I believe it contends for album of the year.