Leather Album | Teen Ink

Leather Album

By 5adams BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5adams BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Country star Cody Johnson recently released a new album called Leather on November 3rd, 2023. Cody is a country music singer and has had many hits in the past such as “On My Way to You” and “Till You Can't”. Cody has made his way onto TikTok with many trends through his music due to his lyrics fitting with many different situations. 

His new album is no exception to his amazing way with lyrics. This new album has 12 songs, many making the iTunes most played songs in the recent week. Cody was also nominated as male vocalist of the year at the CMA Awards. 

“The Painter” came out before the album did as a single release in the summer of 2023. This song has a beautiful rhythm as well as beautiful lyrics. The song itself is about his wife. Cody does a great job of showing off his love for his wife and how much she has helped him. The song is very catchy and well written with a very sweet chorus that caught the attention of TikTok launching the song as a whole. Part of the Chorus goes  “With every wall I built, she saw a canvas / I thank God every day for how He made her / My life was black and white but she's the painter”. These lyrics were very popular online due to the many people posting their significant others online making a very cute trend that made the songs very popular. 

“Jesus Loves You” is about a break-in that happened to Cody and his family. The song has amazing lyrics and gave me goosebumps while listening to it. The song could be controversial or not as appealing to certain groups due to the religious and gun views in the song. The song speaks about how Cody believes Jesus was on the man who broke in sides because his gun was in his truck, "The good Lord was lookin' out for you / 'Cause my gun was in my truck”. The song does an amazing job of expressing the anger and fear you would feel in this situation and can be reliable to anyone suffering from anger or hurt towards someone. 

“Dirt Cheap” hits a soft spot listening to it. does an amazing job of making you think about what is happening around us and how every piece of land has meaning. The song is about how two townspeople who came to a farmer's house to ask if they could have his land to build a suburb on. The farmer then talks about how no amount of money can buy his land and what has happened to it. It does a great job of making the listener feel love for what is around them. It's a beautifully written song and fits with the album perfectly. 

Each song on Leather has its wave of different emotions and is all written beautifully. I think this album will help boost Cody more into the popular artist's list as well as give him a great image. Cody has a beautiful voice and does a good job at writing lyrics that are relatable and hit home in a way that everyone can understand. Making the album a hit for all people. 

I wrote this because of how the songs have become my favorites and so that more people would be interested in listening to the album.