Olivia Rodrigo's | Teen Ink

Olivia Rodrigo's

By Norah_Rogers BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Norah_Rogers BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

I personally had really high expectations for her new album considering how good her last album was. I’ve been a fan of Olivia since she was on Disney channel and she also made original songs for the show “High School Musical the Musical”.

Pop rock is what Olivia usually makes. Her new and second album called Guts came out on September 8th, 2023 and has a blockbuster opening at No.1 on the Billboard chart. Her album also quickly broke streaming records and has become the highest number of streams during a day. 

She previously made a Album called “Sour” which was released in 2021 and immediately became popular because of her single “Drivers License”. Her first album was nominated for 7 grammys, she won 3 of them and won the longest running-debut album in the top 10 of billboard 200.

I had some dislikes and likes about the album but more likes. She is an amazing singer and songwriter, She writes her songs like poems a lot, “I feel your compliments like bullets on skin” This lyric comes from her song Lacy. This song is also relatable because it’s comparing yourself to others “ Ohh, I try, I try, I try Try to rationalize people are people but it’s like you're made of angel dust” This song also reminds me of the song Jealousy, Jealousy from her previous album “Co- Comparison is killing me slowly I think, I think too much ‘Bout kids who don’t know me I’m so sick of myself I’d rather be, rather be Anyone, anyone else My Jealousy, Jealousy started following me” Jealousy, Jealousy is more upbeat and more downputting than Lacy is but it’s about the same topic.

I also really liked The Grudge. This song is very well written and also relatable. “ I try to understand why you would do this all to me You must be insecure, you must be so unhappy And I know in my heart, hurt people, hurt people And we both drew blood, but, man, those cuts were never equal” This is relatable to me because It’s basically saying you both got hurt in the process but they’ll never understand how much they hurt you. The tempo is also amazing in this song. It's more of a slow song but it sounds great.

I also had some dislikes for the album. I personally didn’t really like Love is Embarrassing. I didn't like the beat of the song but it was very well written. I think I just didn’t like it because the tempo sounds like it could be played in the mall at a kids store. I didn’t have many dislikes for this album.

I think Olivia made another beautiful album. It was very poetic, well written, and many other factors. I know she will continue to write and sing music and I just can hope her next albums are like her last two.