Have A Nice Life’s | Teen Ink

Have A Nice Life’s

By adrianafrausto BRONZE, Pacoima, California
adrianafrausto BRONZE, Pacoima, California

Doom, gloom, drone, death. Sensations of existentialism and realizing nothing lasts forever led the band Have A Nice Life to release their third studio album titled Sea of Worry. 

Have A Nice Life is a rock band formed by Dan Barnett and Tim Macuga of Connecticut in the year 2000 and did not release their first studio album until 2008 titled deathconsciousness, which the duo is mainly known for today. After some traction and gaining more and more attention since the earliest demos and albums, Have A Nice Life released their third album more recently titled “Sea of Worry” in 2019. This collection entering a new era of Have A Nice Life’s music in the industry with deeper meanings regarding depression, suicide, and the difficulty of moving on. These seven well-crafted tracks embrace the journey to newfound happiness, no matter the struggle. The fourth track, “Trespassers W”, has gained my attention more and more throughout the years since I first discovered this band. It was the first song I had ever heard and immediately I knew this band was something to pay attention to and take a deeper dive into their music. Who is Have A Nice Life? Listening to this song after the difficult transition from going back to school after COVID-19 and dealing with venturing into my junior year of high school without my best friend was helpful because it made me feel heard and deal with the sadness I was enduring at the time. Attending a school where I did not know anyone was extremely challenging, but listening to music as a way of coping was eye-opening.

Have a Nice Life’s music of shoegaze, post-punk, and post-rock was entrancing, making me interested in wanting more and more. Sea of Worry by Have a Nice Life is an album like no other, evoking powerful, gut-wrenching feelings of anger and anguish. The band uses descriptions of gruesome scenes causing emotions to run high and questioning internal thoughts and overanalyzing the world around you. What’s the meaning behind everything? When going through tough times when the world feels like it’s caving in on you, all you want to do is breathe a breath of fresh air.

Death, depression, sadness, anger. Listening to music that perfectly describes those feelings as a technique to evade having to deal with expressing them yourself is the release you are looking for. Have A Nice Life hopes to have a nice life even with the overwhelming guilt of having to live but not wanting to. Sea of Worry is for those who wish to be understood through their current situation and find the light at the end of the tunnel after the constant battle with themselves to continue the search.

Adriana Frausto is an 18-year-old student at North Hollywood High School.