David Archuleta Christmas from the Heart | Teen Ink

David Archuleta Christmas from the Heart MAG

October 17, 2009
By Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments

David Archuleta's new album, “Christmas from the Heart,” is filled with entrancing, traditional Christmas songs as well as captivating carols in many languages.

When I first saw the album art, I didn't love it. The cover is very bland – a white background and a picture of Archuleta with some colored snowflakes. The title is written in calligraphy. It wasn't original or impressive, but after I listened to the first few songs, my opinion changed completely.

The album opens with a beautiful rendition of “Joy to the World.” The first 30 seconds aren't anything special but at the end, Archuleta kicks out jaw-dropping riffs and amazing high notes. His mature voice is well-suited to sing these carols. I was hooked.

This album features many traditional carols as well as
a few contemporary and foreign ones. Songs like “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” (a duet with Charice Pempengco), “Melodies of Christmas,” and “I'll Be Home for ­Christmas” offer a unique and upbeat spin to the album. “Riu Riu Chiu” and “Pat-a-pan” blend in perfectly with the more traditional carols to create an elegant and diverse mix of Christmas tunes.

Listening to Archuleta sing favorites like “O Holy Night” and “Silent Night” made the butterflies in my stomach stir and gave my whole body chills of joy. His voice brings these normally flat carols to life and makes you want to play them again and again.

“Christmas from the Heart” is the perfect way to celebrate the holiday season. It's a great gift for music lovers of any age. Archuleta's new CD will have you ready to rock around the Christmas tree and sing along with this new spin on traditional holiday music.