Why I hate Lady Gaga. by Lady Gaga | Teen Ink

Why I hate Lady Gaga. by Lady Gaga

By mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio

My taste in music is pretty broad in my opinion. My CD collection does not only fit into one type of music genre. I enjoy listening to hard rock bands such as Guns N Roses, Nirvana, and don't even get me started on my obsession with The Smashing Pumpkins. Other rock bands I am fond of are Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance. But you would also be able to catch me rocking out to the Jonas Brothers on many occasions. As far as hip hop goes I love the Black Eyed Peas, Drake ane Lil Wayne. And who doesn't enjoy some good old bubble gum pop every now and then. Like the A-Teens, Hillary Duff, and Aly and A.J. And older music is always good to listen to like Queen, The Beatles (of course), and Led Zepplin.

But even in the midst my musical taste, I find myself growing to hate one specific artist the more I hear her music. And she is Lady Gaga.

I'll admit, when I first saw her I thought she was cool. I thought she was very sure of what type of artist she wants to be, I thought she was original, and I thought her music and beats were catchy. But to me, thats as far as her music goes. It's catchy. And that is all.

When someone says "I want my fans to remember me for my music and I hope it gives them a sense of belonging when they felt like they didn't," I would think of an artist like The Beatles, or Radiohead, or even Nirvana. Lady Gaga would never come to mind for me. But that is a quote she sadly said about herself.

I have to say she looks more original than other pop artists out there, but her lyrics are pure trash. They are disgusting and meaningless. A song about having sex with a man and thinking about a women while your in bed with him is not something I would ever want to be remembered for. Yes, that is what Pokerface is about. I bet most of you did not know that. To me those lyrics are demeaning and filthy. And lyrics like "I want to take a ride on your disco stick" are atrocious. I don't know how any woman can sing a lyric like that with dignity.

One of my favorite lyrics of all time is a line from a Smashing Pumpkins song - "The more you change the less you feel." Billy Corgan (the lead singer and lyricist of The Smahing Pumpkins) has been called a lyrical genius. In Rolling Stone Magazine, he made the cut in the top 50 best lyricists of all time. Of ALL TIME! And that one line has so much meaning and dynamic to it. You can interpret it in so many ways and most people can relate to it in some way.

And I know, I know. Lady Gaga is not in a rock band. She is a pop artist. But if you ever hear her talk about her music, she talks about it like she is writing something Shakespeareian. She acts as if she deserves to be compared to Bob Dylan. I would have more respect for her if she would call her music what it is. Catchy sexually-driven pop. That is all it is. And nothing more. Just because someone wears make-up that looks like it has been put on with a paint roller, wears clothes that look like the sewing machine has blown up, and never smiles does not make them a real artist. To me, music is about self expression. Lyrics are supposed to be poetry. And I know what Lady Gaga is trying to express when she says "Stop calling, stop calling, I don't want to talk anymore." It means she does not want to talk to her boyfriend while she is at a club. Not exactly a deep lyric in my book. I have yet to hear a Lady Gaga song that has a true, meaningful lyric in it.

This is just my opinion. So please do not eat me alive if you like Lady Gaga.

Please comment. I would like to know your thoughts.

BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
I noticed in your article that you mentioned that you liked Drake and Lil Wayne. While there's nothing really wrong with that (I personally kind of like a couple songs by them myself), the thing is, the fact that you would like those kinds of EXTREMELY sexually perverted artists really waters down your argument against Lady Gaga's comparatively tame songwriting.

catty98e GOLD said...
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas

"I'm a freak, I've been a freak my whole life. I just have to live with it, you know. I'm just one of those people. I'm not going to change the way I think or the way I feel to conform to anything."
-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

Not hating here, but I listen to music for its story, how i can relate to it and it's story as well as the music. so, if you dont listen like that, then any music sounds good. And if you wouldn't listen/sing this music in front of your dad, then you probably shouldn't be listening to it.

catty98e GOLD said...
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas

-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

AGREE COMPLETELY!!! We think exactly alike on this subject. Lady Gaga is already dying out. But she still claws for attention. Music should have a meaning and a purpose and you totally got that in this article, great job!!!

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
i agree. her music is catchy and fun. and I LOVE MCR!!!!!!

MCRlover2011 BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

Be yourself, don't take any one's (ugh they keep editing this T_T) shit and never let them take you alive!!!- Gerard Way

But i get what your saying about how it's not the kind of music she's calling

MCRlover2011 BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

I too have a music range much like yours but i like Lady gaga, never would i ever say she's a lyrical genius, and i would never sing any of thoes songs infront of my dad, it's just catchy fun songs to listen to. i love gaga for the fun not for deepness that's either there or not, good article though!!

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
Sweetie, Im 19. Not 15. And you kind of missed the point of the article.

SunShineSparkle BRONZE, Orange, California

System of A Down - MIND"you need the ones you love and love the ones that you need", HYPNOTIZE"Mesmerize the simple minded Propaganda leaves us blinded", SAD STATUE"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering"

i dnt know dude, i listen to a bunch of random shiz: System of a Down, Eazy-E, the beatles, as blood runs black, bily idol, and so on and Lady Gaga is alright. but then again i have not taken the time to actully listen to her music i just sit there and look into space when i hear her but what evers, shes.......meh.

Well if you were 15 and absolutely love music like most 15 year olds would,i'd disagree with your,im sorry,appauling review considering your more of a classic rock lover.

Im going to use me in example.

i love hardcore music such as Asking Alexandria,Bring Me the Horizon,and so on. But i also like Kesha,David Guetta,Lil' Wayne,and most of all,Lady gaga. Her music might sound dirty but if you were a woman or most likely a girl in the age where sex is considered 'pleasurefull' you'd understand her music much more due to temptation. 

I do agree,she might go a little far but how many artist's music has a different fear such as Gaga's entire album, 'Fame Monster'

Alejandro is an example of the fear of Men. Teeth is another example of the fear of truth. So her music doesnt always just talk about sex. 

You gotta get deep into the song to see the fear. It's a little difficult considering guys who are her fans dont fully understand such as girls do. but then again,this is my opinion & is also the opinion of others around  me during the making of this comment. Maybe you should consider reviewing your rock music for your classic rockers instead of bash on artist who you arent a fan of. No offense -Liz.

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
I agree with you, but at least they call thier music what it is. They know its crass and crude, and they admit to that. Thats what my article was getting at. Lady Gaga acts like her music is something it is not.

ericalucia said...
ericalucia, Fords, New Jersey

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will always teach you."

Personally, I'm a fan. I respect your opinion. The only thing that kind of threw me off is that you said you're into Drake and Lil Wayne... don't you think their lyrics are more crass than Lady Gaga's? :

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
true. her music is fun to dance to, but not that different or special.

juliette said...
juliette, Gdynia, Other

I can do nothing but agree with you. Lady Gaga's lyrics are rather dumb, and, though perhaps true at times, do not make me think and feel the emotions. sometimes I listen to a song, and I can relate to it, I can feel the pain or the joy of the lyricist and the singer. Lada Gaga does not give me that.

On the other hand, she gives us music to dance to, and lately a party without her music seems impossible. True, when I am dancing and not oncentrating on the lyrics, when I just wanna have fun, I enjoy Lady Gaga's music

esist SILVER said...
esist SILVER, North Richland Hills, Texas
Totally agree with you. You kinda have to wonder about what people call 'music' nowadays. I'd much rather listen to me singing 'Yesterday' than hear the stuff on the radio sometimes. Good Job~

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
I wrote this article. I didnt mean to put "By Lady Gaga" in the title, so just ignore that.

rots28 DIAMOND said...
rots28 DIAMOND, East Hampton, Connecticut

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings."
— David Sedaris (Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim)

I find merits in your opinion and good ones at that. However, I think that as an artist grows and matures, their work becomes more meaningful and memorable for the right reasons.  

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

i completely agree with you on this(: