Pink Friday | Teen Ink

Pink Friday

January 27, 2011
By lilian BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
lilian BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
life is like a box of chocolates


I recently listened to Nicki Minaj’s new album Pink Friday which to me was one of the worst recent album releases. The album was released on November 22, 2010. Nicki is known for her nice voice and making songs fun to hear. She once said she wanted to be more than just a rapper, well this album doesn’t show her full potential as an artist because she has made some great songs in the past.

This album contains a lot of beats from the 80’s which is interesting in one song but gets annoying after hearing them in a lot of them. Her lyrics are very raw throughout the whole album because she is very straight forward about what she wants to say. In one of her songs Roman’s Revenge, she lets out a lot of anger about all the people in her life that do not like her, she even made some comments to Lil’ Kim about some things she said about her during the year. A lot of her songs repeat the same story, her rise to fame, getting through people she didn’t like, and her childhood which gets really tiring.

Nicki Minaj is a great artist, but does not show her full capacity especially after being named the first female MC to hit top charts. Her album is as disorganized as a little girl’s closet. On each of her songs she focuses only on one thing. Some songs only focus on love and others on people she doesn’t like, or all on rap which does not help her get to a lot of audiences.

Even though a lot of her album was not that good there were some songs where her hard work paid off which were, I’m the best, Did it on them, and Save me. These songs do have the right music for the lyrics and they are very catchy. The album overall was not interesting but you should hear it for yourself and see what you think.